Catalyst Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eujamfh

Dec 5, 2009
va
So I have the Buck 91 and I am wondering if my cat is starting to go. I received the stove from the neighbor who used it very little but had it for 12 years. He can not remember if the cat was replaced. He definitely did not put a lot of wood through it.

Had it inspected while I was in Afghanistan and the installer dropped the plate and stated it looked good. Pipe was also clean after a year of burning at proper temps with dry wood. That was last year.

My observations: takes 20-30 minutes to get the stove up to 500 degrees to get the cat going. (If using oak it takes less time then say punky poplar.) Once there, it will jump up n temps pretty fast - 1500 if I have soft wook in there and it is going pretty good within 30 minutes of closing the diverter. Today (wet, 35 degrees) it was putting off gray white smoke. (Of note, my non cat was also putting off similar steam/smoke.)

My thoughts: cat is getting older, but since it lights off and the "smoke" was not black and the temps did climb albeit after a while...it is getting older, but handing in there.

Am I thinking wrong? I do not want to try and drop the pan myself for fear of snapping a bolt heading into the winter. (I have a history of that in other equipment.)

Just looking for confirmation...

I'd say keep trying. Sometimes the cat won't light off like you expect. Over a period of time, you can observe the temps and smoke out the chimney to get a better feel if it needs replacing. You might go ahead and order one for a back-up.

Good stove you got.

Thanks,
Bill

Was thinking about getting the spare ordered. I truly am worried about dropping the pan myself. I have horrible luck with bolts that have been in place / seized. WOuld rather pay to have them take more of the risk.

The time to get going has been pretty consistent since I have had it burning (going in to third season). No more smoke than the first really...but I am ubber sensitive about it...so always thinking about it.

When you say "stove up to 500", you're talking about the temp above the catalyst, right? The catalyst really has no influence on the time it takes to get it heated up prior to lighting off. You could try closing the bypass damper about 1/2 to 3/4 to get more of the exhaust/heat to go up through the cat to get it heated up more quickly. Since you say it climbs quickly after lighting off, I'd say there's nothing wrong with the cat itself.

As far as dropping the flame shield and cat holder, if you spray the bolts and nuts with PB Blaster or other type of penetrating oil, they come off pretty easily...usually. The studs that hold the flame shield are threaded into the cat holder. If you have trouble getting the cotter pins back in, try loosening the stud to lower it a bit.

My 2¢,
The price in not going to go down. If you get one now, & the old one comes out usable & you don't notice improvement, you have the old one as a spare.
If you are going to burn for several years, you'll eventually need one.
SS or ceramic? if you get one.

1500 sounds like it's burning fine. Once you see the temps not rising and darker smoke out the chimney those are sure signs to replace the cat. I agree with the others, buy a spare, it could die on you any time and would be nice to have another ready to go.

Also sounds like you haven't inspected the cat? I'd take a look at it, could be clogged with fly ash and need a good cleaning which might give you better results.

I agree with Todd. Check that cat yourself and clean if needed. Having a spare is not so bad I suppose but I don't have one. Our cat went bad towards the end of last Spring and I just kept burning as only small fires were needed at the time. Put the new steel cat in a couple weeks ago. I'm impressed with the new cat for sure.

OK - will keep an eye on it, and order the spare. Those temps are with the probe that is above the cat. I don't think I will drop it unless it does not climb or I am getting darker smoke. I have a problem with "fixing it whenit isn't broke" only to break it...

Will also have to get some PB blaster. I had tried earlier in the year with WD40 but they did not want to move. I did not apply a great deal of torque since last time on a small motor I snapped the bolt and I am just gun shy and since we love the heat...I did not want to risk it. Just went out and looked at it today (cool but clear day) and just a thin wisp of gray smoke...so I am pretty certain we are good for now. (But a spare will get ordered!)

BTW - any recommendations on a place to order? Looks like all the online places have ceramic around $300 and found what appears to be steel (manufactured by Clear Skies) for half that price! Of course...quick search here shows they don't have the best rep so I will have to look for a reputable steel version.

Maybe I will give the steel one a try...one person noted thermal shock is less a concern with the steel ones. That said, ceramic has worked for years...and my wood is seasoned properly.

Anyone have thoughts on a particular manufacture for either ceramic or steel? Looks like Applied Ceramics gets lots of thumbs up for ceramic.

PB Blaster works so well that it makes WD-40 look like spit. :p Apply. Tap on the nut/bolt. Let it sit for a day. If you have room, tap on the end of the wrench with a hammer. Impact will break it loose more easily than steady force will. If all else fails, electric impact wrenches are pretty reasonably priced these days. Get it done this first time, and you'll know how tight they are the next time. :)

Oh yeah, PB Blaster supposedly has magnetic particles in it. . .sounds like something that would poison a catalyst, so be careful with it. . .make sure your bypass is open and your flue is drafting. Re steel cats, mine is made by Sud-Chemie. . .so far, so good.

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree with Todd. Check that cat yourself and clean if needed. Having a spare is not so bad I suppose but I don't have one. Our cat went bad towards the end of last Spring and I just kept burning as only small fires were needed at the time. Put the new steel cat in a couple weeks ago. I'm impressed with the new cat for sure.

My furry cats don't do jack$h!t and I hope your S/S cats do more than mine do as they are virtually useless!

:cheese:

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.