Catalytic Combuster

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joewein

Dec 11, 2007
South Texas
I reciently aquired a Bat Cave Heater and it has a catalytic Combuster in it. I don't know what it does or if I can remove it to get started using the heater.

dont remove it.

if it is designed to work with it, it will heat better.

catalytic combusters burn the gases given off during burning " the smoke" and make heat out of it, not only producing more heat per stick of firewood, but keeping your chimney cleaner in the process. less smoke = less cresote.

post a picture of the stove, and of the combustor unit.

Joe Wein said:
I reciently aquired a Bat Cave Heater and it has a catalytic Combuster in it. I don't know what it does or if I can remove it to get started using the heater.

Will I be starting the fire like a normal stove? It is mounted in a sliding metal peice and can be moved to start the fire and then replaced . Is that what I sould do. Does it act as a flue or do I need to put one in the pipe. I haven't run the pipe but plan on it tonight

build a fire normally, then generally some type of baffle is closed to divert the exhaust thru the combuster unit.

IM not sure what you are asking about the flue.

It will need a code approved chimney or stainless liner to burn safely.

Joe Wein said:
Will I be starting the fire like a normal stove? It is mounted in a sliding metal peice and can be moved to start the fire and then replaced . Is that what I sould do. Does it act as a flue or do I need to put one in the pipe. I haven't run the pipe but plan on it tonight

I had planned on putting stove pipe up then a double insulated pipe out a side wall and then over the room to the cap. Don't have idea about code. Does this sould close or have I taken on to much to install myself?

I am unsure about an install like that, im sure someone on here can describe it to you though.

the search function for this site works really well also, assuming you have some time to spend reading!

Joe Wein said:
I had planned on putting stove pipe up then a double insulated pipe out a side wall and then over the room to the cap. Don't have idea about code. Does this sould close or have I taken on to much to install myself?

Althought I don't have a cat combuster the procedure I'm aware for lighting a normal fire in them is

1st disengage the combuster. What that usually does is redirect smoke from going through the combuster to taking another pathway that avoids it. Cat combusters have to reach a certain temperature BEFORE you direct smoke through them else you'll clog and kill them dead in no time trying to engage them before they're warm enough to function.

2nd after your stove top or flue pipe reaches a certain temperature as specified in your manual THEN you engage the combuster... which normally means the combuster has warmed up to temperatures so it can burn the exhaust, and by engaging it you divert the smoke through the combuster instead of bypassing it, and the combusters are known to start glowing after engaging.

3rd When you reload, you need to disengage the cat (direct the exhaust to avoid going thorugh the combuster) putting fresh wood on hot coals can cause a lot of water to steam out and having that water/moisture go through a 1000F+ combuster can shatter/damage it. Once the moisture has steamed out of the fresh wood, re-engage the combuster.

As for how the Bat cave heater works, and how it chooses to redirect smoke etc. with the combuster I can't say but generally ALL catalytic stoves function in the above manner far as I'm aware but certainly I am not the most qualified to say since I've not used or owned one.

Status
Not open for further replies.