Catalytic combuster

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wolves1

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2014
Malverne ny
Is there a point where the cat is to hot or glowing to much that you can damage it?

Wolves, I just posted this link to Applied Ceramics on the CI2600 operation thread - https://www.firecatcombustors.com/Articles.asp?ID=250

The page contains the following two statements under different questions and the temperatures are slightly different, but it gives you an idea:

"Temperatures above 1600°F will damage the catalyst. Temperatures between 1400°F — 1600°F are normal, but temperatures 1200°F — 1400°F are recommended."

"Temperatures above 1800°F (1000°C) will damage the combustor. Temperatures between 1400° and 1600°F (650-760°C) are common, but operating temperatures between 1000° and 1300°F (537-704°C) are recommended."

Reactions: Highbeam
Yes, very high temps >1600F can damage the cat.

Bk seems to think 1800 is the limit. Then took all the numbers off of the cat meter dial! Not needed!

Yes, could be. 1600F is to build in a safety factor. Sometimes temps can go up quickly.

Yes, could be. 1600F is to build in a safety factor. Sometimes temps can go up quickly.

Yes and gauges lag so it would be tough to have to manage control of cat temps.

I let my cat get pretty hot. It consistently pegs the redline on the probe gauge. I haven't had any issue yet. I figure as long as it is still capable of getting that hot it must be working fine. The redline on my probe is 1500f.

Last edited:
I have the regency f3500 the cat thermometer does not have numbers it just has active or inactive I have a stove top thermometer with numbers.

Condar used to say 1700 is the limit. Lots of different numbers floating around.

IMG_3556.JPG
That kind of glowing, my cat thermometer does not have numbers my stove top reads 600 no flames.Is it ok? I'm worried that it can damage the cat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine this is on your stove and not your insert since you said you don't have an actual temperature reading. I have seen similar glowing on my insert and the temperature was indicating around 1000F.

I imagine this is on your stove and not your insert since you said you don't have an actual temperature reading. I have seen similar glowing on my insert and the temperature was indicating around 1000F.
Correct it's the stove not the insert. I just want to make sure it's not to much heat for the cat.

Is there any way to replace the gauge with one that includes the actual temperature? Perhaps you can install a thermocouple with digital readout similar to the ci2600 insert.

Sent from my 7040T using Tapatalk

Is there any way to replace the gauge with one that includes the actual temperature? Perhaps you can install a thermocouple with digital readout similar to the ci2600 insert.

Condar makes many (most?) oem cat probe meters and also sells them with numbers. There are direct replacement meters for the BK with numbers, plus other brands as well. I might make it my next stove farkle.

When my cat is the hottest on the cat probe meter is not when it is the brightest glow. It's odd that way. Sometimes part of the cat isn't even glowing.

Yes it is easy to do may just do it.

The cat on my stove recommends not going over 1400. I have not seen over 1200 yet. I don't know if I'm not burning it correctly or turn it down to quickly. I routinely seen temps between 700 to 1000. Everything seems to burn great I just dont know how some people see temps at 1500 plus. It's definitely hot.

This the one that came with my high valley, you need to know what length probe you need before purchasing it, guess you can just remove it and measure the probe on the one you already have
probe.jpg

Yes and gauges lag so it would be tough to have to manage control of cat temps.
They don't lag much when the tip is 1/2-3/4" away from the cat surface. Sometimes you can see the probe needle moving. I can control the rate of gassing, and the temp of the cat, with the air control on my stove. Perhaps you don't have that degree of control since your thermostat is making adjustments independently of where you set it.
Bk seems to think 1800 is the limit. Then took all the numbers off of the cat meter dial! Not needed!
Condar makes many (most?) oem cat probe meters and also sells them with numbers....I might make it my next stove farkle.
When my cat is the hottest on the cat probe meter is not when it is the brightest glow. It's odd that way. Sometimes part of the cat isn't even glowing.
Heh-heh. Your curiosity is finally getting the better of you, isn't it? ;) ==c But yes, sometimes one part of the cat may glow when another section doesn't. Depends how that particular load is gassing, how the air is flowing around the wood, etc.
Strange...brighter glow should be giving you higher probe reading. Not sure what's going on there...blower interference cooling the probe spring?
Condar used to say 1700 is the limit. Lots of different numbers floating around.
As with stove temp, I figure the lower the better as long as I'm burning clean and getting the heat I need.
The cat on my stove recommends not going over 1400. I have not seen over 1200 yet. I don't know if I'm not burning it correctly or turn it down to quickly. I routinely seen temps between 700 to 1000. Everything seems to burn great I just dont know how some people see temps at 1500 plus. It's definitely hot.
Different probe setups will read a little differently. On my SIL's Dutchwest, for instance, I saw a higher reading when I replaced her old probe with a new one which had the tip a little closer to the cat surface. As you and you are burning clean when you look at the flue, and are getting the heat you need, I'd say you are doing well. Is there any way to see the cat on your stove? Can you look up through the window, or look in around the bypass rod hole and see the cat glowing?
Is there any way to replace the gauge with one that includes the actual temperature?
This the one that came with my high valley, you need to know what length probe you need before purchasing it, guess you can just remove it and measure the probe on the one you already haveView attachment 191865
Right, just take out the old probe and measure the actual probe length, from tip to the first flange. That will be the probe length you want to order. Or if the probe is on top of the stove and extends to over the cat surface, you can remove the probe, then stick carefully stick something in the hole until it touches the surface of the cat. The subtract 1/2-3/4", and that should be the length needed. Now, the Buck probe comes in from the front, parallel to the cat surface, so this method wouldn't work. redyute's pic is of the old style Condar probe, which still comes with some stoves like High Valley and Buck.
Here's the new style, which I think has been re-calibrated, comparing the temp positions on the dials. I'm pretty sure this is the one that BK uses. The old style has a face diameter of 1.5", new-style is 2", so you have to get the one that's gonna fit. The new style face was a pretty tight fit on the Dutchwest...I had to position it a certain way to make sure the needle didn't hit the probe face cavity on top of the stove.
newcondar.jpg

Last edited:
Heh-heh. Your curiosity is finally getting the better you, isn't it? ;) ==c But yes, sometimes one part of the cat may glow when another section doesn't. Depends how that particular load is gassing, how the air is flowing around the wood, etc.
Strange...brighter glow should be giving you higher probe reading. Not sure what's going on there...blower interference cooling the probe spring?

I'm an engineer, I like numbers, and yes I'm curious. BK tells us that the cat meter reading is telling you what happened 5 minutes ago. 5 minutes seems like a long time when you can actually see the pointer moving.

When the cat is burning hot I can see it glowing red, from reading here I thought that was good.

When the cat is burning hot I can see it glowing red, from reading here I thought that was good.
Yep, that's fine. I just don't like to see it pushing bright orange or yellow. It doesn't sound like that is what you're seeing, though.

Is there a point where the cat is to hot or glowing to much that you can damage it?
My cat probe bottoms out often no flame just a red hot glow with orange flame on the inside of the honeycombs,works for me.I'm not afraid to run my stove,if it craps out BK will get a call,I personally don't believe you could overfire a BK?could be wrong,but I did overfire two (2) Quadrafires cracked the sides on both,both replaced by Quad a good thing,poor design I guess.