catalytic converters, used stoves, burning efficiency, confused.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

voner

Jun 22, 2009
front range, Colorado
okay:

So to start off -- thank you for everybody who replies to me.

I'm starting the search for a used wood stove. I have a small house, only need to heat maybe 1000 ft.².

I don't have the money to buy a new stove.

I am wondering about the efficiency of old stoves. Also, in my area -- a woodstove installation has to have a catalytic converter on it, in order to reduce the pollution.

So I'm a complete ignorant fool here.

#1 - is the catalytic converter deal just put on the stack, or is it integral to the stove? What do I look out for when I'm purchasing he used to -- how I tell the catalytic converter is okay or if there is one?

#2. - I wouldn't mind qualifying for the new tax credit, however it's not hugely important. Are there certain woodstoves that have real efficient designs? You can just tell me some websites/books to go look at for information. I'm good at research. I just need some spots to start.

Thank you, -- when I absorb this first wave of information, I'll come back and ask more questions.

Soon -- I won't be so ignorant!

voner

Most of the wood stoves manufactured today are EPA certified. Burned properly with seasoned wood, they produce far less smoke and particulate matter. These EPA certified stoves can achieve this one of two ways: using catalytic or non-catalytic technology. Though the means are different, they both help to achieve the same goal: causing the smoke and volatile gases released from the wood to ignite and burn. This is known as secondary combustion. A catalytic stove use a special piece of ceramic to cause the smoke to burn. A non-catalytic stove uses a baffle and air tubes at the top of the stove's firebox to reflect heat back towards the fire and cause secondary combustion. As long as you are burning dry, seasoned wood you should see only heat waves or steam coming from the chimney. The only time I see smoke from my chimney is during a fresh start or when I put some new splits on an existing fire, and both times the smoke is only temporary.

For a better understanding of modern EPA certified stoves, read this link: http://www.woodheat.org/technology/woodstoves.htm

Once you've read that, you'll want to decide what type of stove you want to look for: plate steel, soapstone, or cast iron.

Edit: here's a diagram showing the inside of a catalytic wood stove. The cat is the round object you see the smoke/arrows passing through.

catalytic.gif

I understand the tax credit to only be available on new stoves.

Are you certain that a catalytic converter is required on your stove or is a modern low pollution stove required that only emits a certain amount of pollution. I have never heard of an AHJ requiring cat stoves.

Highbeam said:
I understand the tax credit to only be available on new stoves.

I have never been able to find a requirement that the stoves or any other item covered under the Recovery Act and the attendant IRS pronouncements, be new. They only address expenditures for efficiency improvement items. If anybody can point me to anything published, by the Feds not by a stove dealer or maker, that indicates it has to be new I would appreciate it.

A manufacturer's certification is required but those are available from the original manufacturer's web sites. That and a dated receipt for the purchase from whoever you purchase it from.

piggy and highbeam: thank you very much.

That information about stove construction, and EPA qualifications etc. is quite useful and I'll read your recommended websites.

I'll not get to concerned about tax credits.

thanks again.

timv/a.k.a.voner

Status
Not open for further replies.