catalytic stove questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd said:
Chargerman said:
Todd said:
I had a low burn last night, air set at .5, There were no red coals on the bottom, the top front log burned first, then the bottom front, then it moved to the two back splits. It was like each split took it's turn to burn.

Thanks for that description of your burn. My Country Flame BBF acts in a similar fashion. Seems to burn faster and hotter when the wood is placed N/S but for overnight side to side is best. In the morning some of the ends are usually still coaling but I am running some pretty long pieces also. I am waiting for some lower temps to really test this thing out for heat output.

Nice stove, we had one at the stove shop I use to work at but never saw it burn, please give us some updates as the season progresses, it would be interesting to compare the BBF to the big Blaze King.

The BBF doesn't seem to get much mention here but I am very happy with it so far. I bought it used and tonight I changed both side window tape gaskets. It seemed to help quite a bit on controlling the flames so my burn times should improve. The windows were streaking black so I knew they were not sealing to well. I am about 4 1/2 hours into a medium size burn of elm and walnut from a cold start. The cat probe is still reading around 600 degrees with the blower on medium speed. It's around 40 degrees outside with a strong wind and the house is nice and toasty.

Backwoods Savage said:
This being a used stove you would no doubt need to replace the cat immediately. Before purchasing the stove, I'd check to see if you can still get a cat the right size and what the price will be. It might be such a thing that the price of the cat might meet the price of the stove and would not be worth it. Best to know before buying.

Good luck.

I disagree that just because the stove is used that you'd need to replace the cat--it depends upon how old the cat is and what condition it's in. Some people use up a cat in a couple of years, some last for many years. Don't run out and buy what you don't need..........

NP

Appalachian stove works is still in business and they are always helpful. You can purchase replacement cats from them or from other sources. If you call with the manufacturing date and model number of the stove they will tell you exactly what you need. My stove is one of the first models of EPA certified stoves. It uses 2 sets of Cats. This time I purchased the replacement cats from Appalachian. When I need information I call them and they help me out. Don't know what more you could ask.

I've read several posts where members have noted that catalytic stoves aren't for fire gazers (those who like to sit around and watch a fire). How true is this? With a Blaze King Princess, for example, with the catalytic converter engaged, and air flow set properly, will one not see flames much? Are there any fire gazers here who are satisfied with catalytics?

You can see plenty of flames with a cat stove, but they are designed to be most efficient when you turn them way down and have little or no flame in the box. More air equals more flame.

And more air equals more heat. With the BK King, if you see flames you better need heat or have little wood in the firebox. I always fully load it and let the t-stat do its thing. Unless its below 30, I don't see much except right after a reload. Even when it has been below 30, we don't get much more than a glow unless you get down and look up at the catalytic.

We get plenty of flames. And plenty of heat and some pretty good burns.

My Country Flame BBF cat stove will give nice flames also but it will really kick out the heat when you do that. If I let it burn hot and then turn down the air it does have a nice dancing flame for a while. If I want a long burn I just load it up let the cat get to about 800-900 degrees, put the fan on medium, and shut down the air. The wood will glow without much visible flame. I had an 8 hour burn the other night and when I got up there were still two rounds left out of 4. The cat was still burning away at 600 degrees and giving great heat.

Slow1 said:
Mind you I'm basically putting in 4-5 splits with a small pile of sticks as kindling on top in the morning, lighting off with a bit of a SC on top, then once flue temp is up I close it down. Perhaps 1/2 fill including the kindling?

It's probably something simple to figure out but what's SC? Thanks

53flyer said:
Slow1 said:
Mind you I'm basically putting in 4-5 splits with a small pile of sticks as kindling on top in the morning, lighting off with a bit of a SC on top, then once flue temp is up I close it down. Perhaps 1/2 fill including the kindling?

It's probably something simple to figure out but what's SC? Thanks

Sorry, getting lazy and making up abbreviations - I'm referencing a Super Cedar fire starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.