Catalytic temperature probe usage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
I just got my Temperature probe for my Wood insert. I have a high Valley 2500. I bought a Condar probe from Ebay. It says not to let it touch the combuster. Problem is that mine falls down and rests on the combuster. There is like a 1/4" hole in the front of the stove that goes directly into the top side of the Catalysts, the probe shaft fits loosely and there is no way to have it hover 1/2" above the combuster what should i do? Will it really hurt anything?

clemsonfor said:
I just got my Temperature probe for my Wood insert. I have a high Valley 2500. I bought a Condar probe from Ebay. It says not to let it touch the combuster. Problem is that mine falls down and rests on the combuster. There is like a 1/4" hole in the front of the stove that goes directly into the top side of the Catalysts, the probe shaft fits loosely and there is no way to have it hover 1/2" above the combuster what should i do? Will it really hurt anything?
cut or machine a small bushing about a quarter of an inch long and slide it over the shaft on the thermometer. You could try stacked washers also.

I been messing with it. I have it pulled out a bit and the probe will either kind of balance 2" out of the housing or i can push it in a bit more and the inside end gets heavier adn then the actual gage will rest on the upper lip of the stove holding the probe off the catalyst. I did think about a brass bushing or steel though. I dont have machine tools, think i can find a bushing at Lowes or TSC that size?

clemsonfor said:
I been messing with it. I have it pulled out a bit and the probe will either kind of balance 2" out of the housing or i can push it in a bit more and the inside end gets heavier adn then the actual gage will rest on the upper lip of the stove holding the probe off the catalyst. I did think about a brass bushing or steel though. I dont have machine tools, think i can find a bushing at Lowes or TSC that size?
washers would probably work well or even a small piece of copper tubing like 5/16 and just cut it with a tubing cutter heck they even sell stainless tubing in really small sizes. I am not sure how your stove is set up but if it os anything like my old dutchwest you wouldn't.be able to see the bushing anyways. Got a picture of where the probe sets and we may be able to come up with something more creative.

No need to add, condar probes can be cut. The element is external not in the shaft. Just cut the stainless shaft to fit.

Note they also make different lengths stock.

Stump_Branch said:
No need to add, condar probes can be cut. The element is external not in the shaft. Just cut the stainless shaft to fit.

Much better idea, I didn't know you could cut the probe on their thermometers since some thermometers don't have that option.

certified106 said:
Stump_Branch said:

Much better idea, I didn't know you could cut the probe on their thermometers since some thermometers don't have that option.

Try a search for condar probes or thermos...there was a lengthy thread on this. Including testing, communication with condar.

Id do it for you but finding it and pasting it here is impossible with a cell phone.

clemsonfor said:

If it's not resting directly on the catalyst, but on part of the stove, then you're fine. The probe needs to be directly in the exhaust stream coming out of the catalyst.

As stump said, If the catalyst probes are anything like the regular flue probes that condar makes, I wouldn't recommend leaving it out from the appliance further than what was intended. I do believe that some ambient heat is meant to be around the face of the unit. I wouldn't hesitate to cut the probe down to get it in the right place. It's just a conduction rod.

pen

I asked Condar about this and they said it can be cut down to size and should be at least 1/4" away from the cat.

OK it came with a bushing attached to the paperwork in the box. I was so excited to get it into the stove that i did not even look at the flyer that came with it and the bushing attached to it in a tiny bag. I was at 1500F with just 5 or so pieces of wood in there and i ran it too long before i shut the bypass as i got distracted so the wood was actually half burned (small splits and part doady) as i was re starting the stove from coals. It was not glowing either at this temp. Now i anxious to see what temp it was glowing red at. And fear that the last season and this year i have been over fireing it and shorting my catalysts life. One mourning i got up 8-9 hours after i loaded it and the cats were still glowing red with the air shut down close to 25% or so, as i had huge splits in there.

I also knew i could cut them, i kind of half measured it as well, got the 7" as it looked to be what i needed the 6 i thought to short and the 8 i though i would need to cut for sure, but figured that the 7 could be cut if need be and it was same price as the 7. The 8" was a bit more though so i wanted to stay away from it if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.