Catalytic thermometer died already.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
My catalytic thermometer on the King Ultra had its dial fall off. The probe is 2 inches is that the size you must use for this unit,or can you go longer. This one was made by Condar. Thanks

Talk to your BK dealer about a possible warranty exchange.

FWIW, I replaced mine with a Condar thermometer which shows the temperature. I did have to cut the probe to fit, though.

How long is "already"? These probes are exposed to extremely high temps and corrosive gases. Ours doesn't have two full seasons worth of burning on it and the probe is pretty beat up. Wouldn't be surprised if it failed before the season is over. Now that I think about it, I should get one to have on hand when it does.

My cat thermometer came with the stove which was purchased in March 2011,so very little burn time has it been exposed to.Not a big deal my cat probe measures 2in,does anyone know if Condar makes one that size,not shown on their website. Do these things need to be exact?Thanks

Not sure about the configuration on BK stoves. Does the probe point straight at the cat or run parallel over it? If the former, then yes, it should be exact. If the latter, then it probably can run a bit longer than the oem length. As cmonSTART said above, a too long probe can be cut to length.

Status
Not open for further replies.