Q&A Catalytic thermometer probe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I want to know if it is really necessary to monitor the catalytic element temperature. I use a thermometer on the stove top to give me an indicator of proper operation. I have read you can tell if the catalytic element is operating OK by checking for smoke from the chimney, What is the value to be gained by installing a temperature probe in the catalytic combustor area?",

Answer:

I do not think you need an internal monitor. The Encore is designed well enough so that if the stove if up to any decent temperature, the cat will operate correctly. Use a surface them on the griddle. The most critical stage of the fire (as far as the cat) is startup, until you have a good bed of embers. Once you have these embers, it should always work OK."

Status
Not open for further replies.