Catalytic vs. Burn Tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A new Kitty stove should come with at least 5 replacement catalysts. Has there ever been a first year burner that didn't run out of dry wood and have to burn green wood or garbage? If they threw in the replacements an owner would be fine for 20 years even if the manufacturer goes out of business.

rickw said:
I think the cat is actually much easier to run, as it requires much less frequent loading. Three times a day if its cold, twice a day if it isn't. No kindling, no lighting fires (well, once every 2 weeks to clean it out). Just throw wood in. The house temperature isn't spiking and plunging; its just comfortable. After 5 weeks of continuous burn I've gone thru 1/2 cord.

What I'm NOT doing, that I USED to do:
Fiddling with the stove constantly.
Bringing in a huge pile of wood every other day.
Smoking the neighborhood trying to get the secondaries going.
No kindling, fatwood, matches.
No burned hands from trying to cram the firebox completely full.
And best - NO getting up to feed the stove, not once!

Current record for load interval - 18 hours. No kindling.

Works for me..

Rick
Do you have a pic of where the cat is on your stove??

mellow said:
I'm sure you guys have seen this video of a Blaze King in action before, but it does highlight very well the exhaust temp. when the Cat is engaged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwNYI6ME7kA

Thats a great video. I need a big stove for the cellar. i'm so confused about the non cat -- cat stoves :-S

The woodstock website has a great slideshow on cleaning the cats on their stoves. The slideshow also serves to show everyone how they are assembled. The fireview cat is really easy to get to and clean. Almost seems too easy.

I have an email into woodstock about the possibility of a larger stove. Give me a break, their largest stove is 2.3 CF? Rated for 1600SF? This is America!

I do remember someone talking to a Woodstock rep and he quoted the rep as saying something to the effect of "We receive requests to produce a larger stove, but for every request we get, we get 3 people happy with our current selection. We do not have any plans for producing a larger stove at this time."

Since then, I believe it was in this thread that someone mentioned that they gave him a different answer to the effect of "we have one in the works"

Highbeam said:
The woodstock website has a great slideshow on cleaning the cats on their stoves. The slideshow also serves to show everyone how they are assembled. The fireview cat is really easy to get to and clean. Almost seems too easy.

I have an email into woodstock about the possibility of a larger stove. Give me a break, their largest stove is 2.3 CF? Rated for 1600SF? This is America!

Highbeam

Its the same size as my F400(i think) in BTU's 55,000. its got allot longer burn time then my F400. Is this because of the cat??

I don't know if anyone else is interested in the big Buck mentioned above, but I called two dealers and the price on the model 91 (free standing stove, not the insert) is a lot cheaper than the BKK. Both dealers I talked with said the Buck is built like a brick chit-house. They said the stove is made out of very heavy steel and built to last. Looking at the specs, it would appear the 91 is considerably heavier than the BKK, so I don't doubt what they say regarding the construction. It also looks nicer, but that doesn't really matter much for my application.

I was pretty much set on the BKK, but given the significant price difference and similar specs, the 91 has peaked my interest. Although, it would be nice to hear some details on this new larger Woodstock as well. My only fears about this 'new' stove is that their idea of larger will be 2.8cf rather than 4+cf and it will be in production sometime around 2012, plus it will be an untested design... although I know they stand behind their stuff.

EDIT: Based on what Todd posted earlier, it doesn't sound like Woodstock will be building a larger stove anytime soon.

There's another post on the new woodstock, and it's no bigger, but a retrofit to the fireview to add a secondary burn system to make it some kind of secondary burn catalytic hybrid. Completely unconfirmed just like the ideas of a bigger one. Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath.

edit: if they did make a bigger one, I would imagine it will probably not be 4.0+, either.

Wet1 said:
Rockey said:
Southland said:
EasyEd said:
I wish there were other large cat options (hello Woodstock!), but it seems the BK is exactly what I'm looking for.

Check out the Buck Model 91 stove. It's a catalytic stove and has a 4.4 cu ft firebox. My parents have been using the insert version for 8-9 yrs and it has been an outstanding stove.

http://www.buckstove.com/wood/model91.html

Excellent point about the Buck 91. A huge firebox and catalytic, the only drawback looks like an 8" flue. Is this a stove or insert? They call it a stove but only show a picture of it as an insert.

Interesting, I've never heard of Buck. It appears the 91 is offered in both insert and stove, although I can't find a picture of the freestanding stove on their site (???).
I wonder how the pricing on this stove compares to the BKK? Honestly, the only real hesitation I'm having regarding the BKK is the high price for this steel stove. I noticed Buck rates their 91 as 72% efficient where as BK states up to 82.5% for theirs, yet the Buck is rated at 1.2 G/H emissions and BK states 1.76 G/H emissions for their BKK. The other big question in my mind is how much difference the "automatic thermostat" feature on the BKK makes, or is this just a marketing gimmick? Although, I would think the thermostatic damper would work better for those unsupervised long burns.

Anyone have any thoughts on how these two stoves stack up???

The Buck is stating the EPA default efficiency for all cat stoves and BK is stating the independent lab test. I'm sure they are both about the same. I think BK would have the nod for me because of the auto thermostat, I think it is a great feature.

Also look into Country Flame, they have a huge 4cu ft firebox cat and it actually looks better in person than the pictures.

Wet1 said:
I don't know if anyone else is interested in the big Buck mentioned above, but I called two dealers and the price on the model 91 (free standing stove, not the insert) is a lot cheaper than the BKK. Both dealers I talked with said the Buck is built like a brick chit-house. They said the stove is made out of very heavy steel and built to last. Looking at the specs, it would appear the 91 is considerably heavier than the BKK, so I don't doubt what they say regarding the construction. It also looks nicer, but that doesn't really matter much for my application.

I was pretty much set on the BKK, but given the significant price difference and similar specs, the 91 has peaked my interest. Although, it would be nice to hear some details on this new larger Woodstock as well. My only fears about this 'new' stove is that their idea of larger will be 2.8cf rather than 4+cf and it will be in production sometime around 2012, plus it will be an untested design... although I know they stand behind their stuff.

EDIT: Based on what Todd posted earlier, it doesn't sound like Woodstock will be building a larger stove anytime soon.

Wet 1

What was the price on the buck??

johnnywarm said:
Highbeam said:

Highbeam

Its the same size as my F400(i think) in BTU's 55,000. its got allot longer burn time then my F400. Is this because of the cat??

Yes, the cat stretches out those BTU's because it can be burned with less air and still maintain secondary combustion with lower temps in the firebox.

Yes, the cat stretches out those BTU's because it can be burned with less air and still maintain secondary combustion with lower temps in the firebox.[/quote]

Thanks todd.this is interesting.

Wet1 said:

Are you talking about the model 80 buck??

Chettt said:
A new Kitty stove should come with at least 5 replacement catalysts. Has there ever been a first year burner that didn't run out of dry wood and have to burn green wood or garbage? If they threw in the replacements an owner would be fine for 20 years even if the manufacturer goes out of business.

I'm pretty sure all cats have at least a 6 year warrantee, where the 1st 3 years are free replacements and prorated after that. I had mine replaced free of charge after 1 year even though it was probably my fault. Cat technology is getting better. There are a couple stainless steel cats on the market that are resistant to thermo shock and lite off at 380 degrees instead of 500.

johnnywarm said:
Wet1 said:

Wet 1

What was the price on the buck??
Empty your PM box so I can send you a message...

[

Wet 1

What was the price on the buck??[/quote]
Empty your PM box so I can send you a message...[/quote]

Something is wrong with my pm.i'll get back to you.

Todd said:
There are a couple stainless steel cats on the market that are resistant to thermo shock and lite off at 380 degrees instead of 500.

Got any links for this? I am planning to replace the cats I have in my stove next season, I don't know how old they are, got them used off ebay.

I am noticing however that with the cat in my stove right over the fire it is very easy to get it to light off, but 380F would save even more wood.

What's the secret? Would be good for all of us to know the prices of all of these big cat stoves. The big BK, we know the woodstock price, the buck, the country flame.

I'm not shy, I spent 2049$ on my heritage after tax. Current hearthstone prices are available on Tom's site. They were actually cut just recently.

Highbeam said:
What's the secret? Would be good for all of us to know the prices of all of these big cat stoves. The big BK, we know the woodstock price, the buck, the country flame.

I'm not shy, I spent 2049$ on my heritage after tax. Current hearthstone prices are available on Tom's site. They were actually cut just recently.
I didn't want to upset anyone by quoting prices over the forum (I don't know if that's a no-no or not). The price I got on the BKK was around $3130, the 91 was $1850... as I said before, quite a difference. The only thing I would really miss on the BKK is the thermostatic control.

mellow said:
Todd said:
There are a couple stainless steel cats on the market that are resistant to thermo shock and lite off at 380 degrees instead of 500.

Got any links for this? I am planning to replace the cats I have in my stove next season, I don't know how old they are, got them used off ebay.

I am noticing however that with the cat in my stove right over the fire it is very easy to get it to light off, but 380F would save even more wood.

http://www.clearskiesunlimited.com/woodburningstoves.html

http://www.condar.com/

Wet1 said:
Highbeam said:

I didn't want to upset anyone by quoting prices over the forum (I don't know if that's a no-no or not). The price I got on the BKK was around $3130, the 91 was $1850... as I said before, quite a difference. The only thing I would really miss on the BKK is the thermostatic control.

Thanks wet1. It really helps to put a figure to these stoves. Besides the thermostatic primary air the blower CFM is quite high on the BK compared to the 91 which doesn't specify. The countryflame was 600 CFM which is quite a lot.

The buck has a very difficult to remove catalyst package and 3 cats. They describe all sorts of penetrating oil and extra care in the manual. Much harder than the woodstock. The stove is tapered front to back to make it a better insert I'd guess. Looks funny freestanding.

The BK look is growing on me.

Todd said:
mellow said:
Todd said:

http://www.clearskiesunlimited.com/woodburningstoves.html

http://www.condar.com/

Is that site right? Two combustors at $99 each required for a Woodstock Fireview? Woodstock only gets $125 I thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.