Cate Street Capital Plans $80 Million Pellet Facility in Easport, Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but can't you see someone making a home furnace unit that is appropriate for those pellets?
Sure can, But it may be a good while. The pellet furnaces are slim as it is. But down the road(unless we great something that is greener-more economical) I bet we see them. I image a corn furnace with some tweaks would do just fine with them. Seeing the corn furnaces are dead in the water with high corn prices, Its probably our best shot.

Burning wood pellets is said to be carbon neutral, are these?
If they are using green energy to do the torrifying? Yes, If they are using fossil fuels probably not. I imagine they are using the same wood to make the pellets to create the heat for the process.

All it takes is one senator in the company's back pocket to allocate the pork to built the infrastructure to make it accessable. I could be wrong, and I am OK admitting it when I am, but with our country's current administration, there is no way in hell that something as petty as other people's money would get in the way of spending!
Can you say Senator Susie ????????????

Sure can, But it may be a good while. The pellet furnaces are slim as it is. But down the road(unless we great something that is greener-more economical) I bet we see them. I image a corn furnace with some tweaks would do just fine with them.

If they are using green energy to do the torrifying? Yes, If they are using fossil fuels probably not. I imagine they are using the same wood to make the pellets to create the heat for the process.

The process uses microwave technology to create the pellets.

The process uses microwave technology to create the pellets.

So electric might not be green if its produced from coal, or NG. But if its hydro-power it should be considered green. Our pellets require similar energy to be produced. They are still considered green AFAIK.

Torrified pellets require more energy than a wood pellet. They are milled in presses first like standard pellets. Then they need the energy to torrifie them. But I guess the extra BTU's they produce is worth it for the plants. I do assume the cost is more than coal.

Reactions: save$
So electric might not be green if its produced from coal, or NG. But if its hydro-power it should be considered green. Our pellets require similar energy to be produced. They are still considered green AFAIK.

Torrified pellets require more energy than a wood pellet. They are milled in presses first like standard pellets. Then they need the energy to torrifie them. But I guess the extra BTU's they produce is worth it for the plants. I do assume the cost is more than coal.

One added benefit is the pellets are waterproof too.

All it takes is one senator in the company's back pocket to allocate the pork to built the infrastructure to make it accessable. I could be wrong, and I am OK admitting it when I am, but with our country's current administration, there is no way in hell that something as petty as other people's money would get in the way of spending!

Yup and going down that track I would have expected both Dicky/Lincoln and Quoddy to already be up and running alas neither is or likely to ever be. Both were multi decade political offerings (footballs) to gather votes for various politicians of the striped skunk variety.

Like I said I'd love to see something happen down there but having seen what has transpired over the decades I'm not going to hold my breath while waiting.

Hell, they even fought over a proposed LNG facility and various Aquaculture operations down that way.

ETA: Just so everyone on here understands you are talking about my hometown.

Status
Not open for further replies.