Cath used stove pics - opinions? Model?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
I've uploaded these for cath...

Attachments

• Stove-front.jpg
    Stove-front.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 274
  • stove-front2.jpg
    stove-front2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 262
  • stove-inside.jpg
    stove-inside.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 261
  • stove-inside2.jpg
    stove-inside2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 234
And the last one....

It looks like a small winterwarm....

Not a powerful heater, if so.

Also, blower and electricals should be checked out as they are on the rear of the unit (I think).

Unit does not look abused, the orange on the inside rear is somewhat normal since the flame is sucked up through there - but it would be wise to check the cat converter is this is the right model (WW).....

Never was my favorite insert - more about style than heat

Attachments

• stove-inside3.jpg
    stove-inside3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 240
Elk, Craig, et al,

Elk had requested some information which I did post but I can’t tell if he's seen the two threads they are contained in. And I haven't gotten any feedback on whether this VC Winter Warmer (small), is suitable for our needs as a supplementary heat source.

Below are the dimensions with a question about overhang due to the depth. Further below is the information about our house.

DH measured our dimensions, I have the dimensions from VC’s web site and the owner emailed me the dimensions in his owner’s manual. They are as follows:
.................Ours...................………………VC’s “minimum”..........Seller’s Manual’s
Depth........18"...................…………………15"............................21 1/4”.............
Width........36” (front) & 24” (back)……..26 1/2”...........…………..25 5/8”....................
Height.......26”...................................21 1/2.........……………..21 1/4”.....................

We would seem to be ok on the width compared to VC’s site’s “minimum” and the Seller’s manual’s number, if the “front” width is the critical one. However, our depth is too small compared to the number the Seller gives me on that dimension. Our height is ok regardless. Any thoughts on how the Seller’s Manual’s number could be so much higher than the numbers on VC’s site?

I’m wondering if the depth noted on VC’s site allows for the possiblity of some overhang, but the manual gives the depth necessary to install it flush? I know from Rhonemas’ experience with the Hearthstone insert that it seems they are supposed to be installed flush but they are more effective if the front is pulled out 5” or so from the opening. I forget if he needed to support the front of his Clydesdale from underneath. Since the floor of our chimney is flush with the living room floor I don’t think we would need support there.

Is the VC Winter Warm designed to allow for a 3 1/4” overhang? Would that resolve the discrepancy? If not, it would seem that our fireplace isn’t deep enough.

The house was built in 1947. It is poorly insulated but we did recently put in Harvey insulated replacement windows. The overall square footage is more like 1348 sf. (not 1500 sf). The square footage of the main part of the first floor is 30 x 24 = 720 sf. Since it is a basic cape the foot print of the second floor is the same but given the pitch of the roof I think the upstairs is considered to have roughly 3/4 the living space of the downstairs, about 540 sf. There is a 8 x 11 (88 sf) breezeway with no living space above it. 720 sf + 540 sf + 88 sf = 1348.

The living room, on the left, is roughly 24 x 11.5 (276 sf), so it is a decent size but narrow. The front door opens up to the staircase, which leads to the second floor. The layout is closed but circular: with the kitchen in back and the dining room on the right side. The fireplace is on the left outside wall of the living room; it is centered on the wall but it is a little closer to the kitchen door in back than the door to the first floor/front stairs. The staircase on the first floor is essentially fully enclosed.

So, theoretically we could use a couple of fans to push the heated air from an insert into the kitchen and to push the cold air from the front door/stairway into the living room ... and get a circular air flow going. If so, then a little bit of the hot air flowing from the living room to the kitchen, to the dining room might make it around the corner and up the stairs.

I believe the ceilings are standard height, 8 ft, so the chimney would be at least 16 feet plus the two feet of framing between the floors and a few feet or so above the roof, which would make the chimney about 20 to 22 sf.
~Cath

Status
Not open for further replies.