Cathedral Ceiling Chimney Support Install Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Usa1208

Nov 30, 2011
WNY
Hello. Installing a wood stove using DW pipe and trying to figure out the trick to secure the cathedral ceiling box to the joists if I have no access to the attic space. Distance from ceiling to roof is approx 4 1/2 ft. I already have the 36" box & pipe from my previous chimney setup , which I hope to reuse. Is there a better/easier install support system than the box option? Thanks.

If you are installing in a cathedral ceiling you have to cut a hole in the roof to install the support box to the rafters. You will most likely have to frame the box in, since most rafters are 24" on center.

You indicate that you don't have attic access,
but how far is it from the ceiling to the roof?
Your install manual for the chimney system will
tell you to secure the support box to the ceiling joists
or rafters. It has to support ALL of the Class A above it,
so it needs to be securely anchored, on all four sides.
One way is to cut a bigger hole in the ceiling than you
need so you can frame between the structural members
& then finish trim it for aesthetics.
It may be possible to frame it from above, coming down
thru the roof as you need clearance around the Class A,
so the hole in the roof will be bigger than the chimney -
UNDER the flashing. Either way, deck screws will be easier
to use than nails for attaching whatever framing you need...

It might help us if you can post some pics.

Thanks all for the replies. Today I cut out the square hole for the box, constructed a 2x4 frame to to support the cathedral box to the joists then found a long arm to reach in to secure the box in level. 2.5 hrs to complete. Roof hole will be done the next decent day. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.