Cathedral ceiling install/insulation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pfettig77

Feb 13, 2014
NW Wisconsin
When I install my Jotul 602 through the ceiling and I use the support box, I'm concerned that there will be a big ol' 15" squared area with no insulation. Is there any remedy for this or do people just deal with a "dead spot" in the ceiling? Also, should the hole that goes through the roof (sheathing and shingles) be a circle that's 2" from the pipe or should it be the shape and size of the box? Thanks.

Bring the insulation right up to the sides of the Cathedral support box, or at least up to the framing holding it in position.
The box has the proper clearance-to-combustibles built into it.
Cut the hole in your roof 2" larger than the Class A coming thru. I use the bottom of the flashing cone as a guide.
Set the flashing where it will finally be situated & trace the bottom of the opening onto your shingles with a yellow crayon.
Cut your opening 1" outside the layout line & you can't go wrong. Just make sure at the bottom end of the cut, your sides
are perpendicular & square so that you'll have a slot to slide the flashing into when it's inserted under the shingles...
The finished hole should look like an upside down U with a flat at the bottom.

Thanks a lot. That's gonna help a ton.
I have old metalbestos 7" pipe and the only flashing I found locally is for 6" or 8". I bought the 6" thinking it would fit through but it just barely doesn't. The picture is the same stuff I have. I wonder if I'd be able to cut through 2 or so of the slits to the top to make the pipe fit through?

Attachments

• JSC6AAF.jpg
    JSC6AAF.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 134
I filled my ceiling support box with fireproof insulation from my work. We use it on our boilers. I tested the insulation before hand by taking my torch to it. Been in place 6 years now.

I filled my cathedral ceiling support box with vermiculite. Its fire resistant and you can buy a bag of it at menards.

Thats it!

Status
Not open for further replies.