Cathedral Install Mistake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
So, I installed a supervent 6 inch cathedral support box. According to the manual I need to have two inches of the support box into the room at the lower end and I need 2.5 inches of chimney pipe into the room.

My setup is 2 inches of box in the room at the lower end and I have chimney pipe come in at 2.75 inches.

Well I might have made a mistake.

The room is being finished and drywall being put up. When I had the box come into the room I have it in at exactly two inches form the ceiling stud. Now if I add drywall that is 5/8 the box does not enter the room by 2 inches or does it. I was not sure if the manual meant entering the room past the drywall or by the ceiling stud? Is this okay?

Last edited:
So, I installed a supervent 6 inch cathedral support box. According to the manual I need to have two inches of the support box into the room at the lower end and I need 2.5 inches of chimney pipe into the room.

My setup is 2 inches of box in the room at the lower end and I have chimney pipe come in at 2.75 inches.

Well I might have made a mistake.

The room is being finished and drywall being put up. When I had the box come into the room I have it in at exactly two inches form the ceiling stud. Now if I add drywall that is 5/8 the box does not enter the room by 2 inches or does it. I was not sure if the manual meant entering the room past the drywall or by the ceiling stud? Is this okay?

Sorry to say, but they are saying 2 inches below a combustible ( ie: The ceiling ) .....That includes drywall.

I look at mine and ask what the heck moving the box into the room more or less would really do!
I guess you have a steep pitch? I could have installed mine 1" on the low side and 1" for the class a. I went with 3" on the low side with 1" of class a entering.

I look at mine and ask what the heck moving the box into the room more or less would really do!
I guess you have a steep pitch? I could have installed mine 1" on the low side and 1" for the class a. I went with 3" on the low side with 1" of class a entering.
I agree, I can't see it making any difference at all.
TLC is another product from Hart &Cooley, pretty much the same pipe. They allow the box to be closer to the ceiling if you bring the pipe further into the room. On a 3 pitch it can be almost flush, the steeper pitches require it to protrude farther into the room.

What if you bring the pipe 4" into the room ? Not to their specs. , but it seems to be the same effect.

Reactions: webby3650
I don't see it making a difference either. I did it this way so a 3 foot chimney pipe would fit exactly all the way through my inside of the house to past the flashing. The directions just say it needs to be 2 inches into the room for stability it does not mention anything about combustibles or if it it 2 inches from the drywall or the ceiling stud?

Also, it does not have to be 2 inches from combustibles because in the directions. I can have the lower end flush and be okay I would just have to bring more pipe into the room of course.

This is why I can not bring the pipe into the room more because it would be below the flashing.

It is just vague how the manual is written to say into the room.

So, is my setup okay or do I have a problem?

The other thing I can do is install double wall pipe instead of single wall the chart then requires me to 1 inch of box in room with one inch of pipe so I will be good. How much more expensive is the double wall compared to single wall though or do you think I am okay with the single wall which I would prefer to keep?

Last edited:
Double-wall connector was my first thought. Then you have a winning combo. It will keep the flue gases hotter and the chimney cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.