Cats!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wooduser

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2018
seattle, wa
Catalytic converters.

So I've been reading that while early use of catalytic converters anticipated the need to replace them after just a few years, newer stove design have greatly extended the life of cat to perhaps ten years.

True?

How does one determine that a cat is worn out and needs to be replaced?

What's involved in replacing a cat? Rusted in bolts that break off, or a part that lifts off and is replaced easily ----to give two possibilities?

How much does a cat typically cost, and how much is a homeowner likely to be charged by a contractor to supply and install the part?

I'm supposing that there are a wide variety of cats, mostly unique to a few stoves, and thus need to be special ordered. Is that true?

I'd be glad to hear about people's experiences with cats.

Catalytic converters.

So I've been reading that while early use of catalytic converters anticipated the need to replace them after just a few years, newer stove design have greatly extended the life of cat to perhaps ten years.

True?

How does one determine that a cat is worn out and needs to be replaced?

What's involved in replacing a cat? Rusted in bolts that break off, or a part that lifts off and is replaced easily ----to give two possibilities?

How much does a cat typically cost, and how much is a homeowner likely to be charged by a contractor to supply and install the part?

I'm supposing that there are a wide variety of cats, mostly unique to a few stoves, and thus need to be special ordered. Is that true?

I'd be glad to hear about people's experiences with cats.
They last roughly 10000 hours which is about 3 years for most full time burners.

It is pretty clear when it is no longer working it wont become active.

There are still some that are bolted in but most now just have a sheild that lifts off then the cat slides out.

Price varies but i think the average is in the $200 range.

Some people pay to have them changed and others dont just like any other maintenance needed.

Some stove dealers will carry stock of cats others wont or they can be ordered online.

negra 2.jpg
negra 3.jpg
negra 1.jpg

Reactions: bholler