Cats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
Quick question on catalysts (since I am new to them) - if the cat glows bright orange when new wood is added to a fireplace and while its still smoking, is that enough to deduce that the cat is working fine and does not need to be replaced, or does that same glow happen even in old and worn out catalysts? If the latter, how can I tell if my catalyst needs to be replaced (they are $190 for my VC Winterwarm).

Thanks!

Dean

Take the cat out Vac out the fly ash and look at the combustor, if the honey comb s structure is disintergrating your need a new cat.

chances are it needs a good cleaning a can of compressed air can be used to blow it out and pipe cleaners in between the honey comb spaces,
while out it is a good idea to vac the bottom of the combustor compartment. Be care full the material is fragial, I tape a piece od small soft plastic tube to my shop vac to get in the nooks

One way is to engage the cat wait a few minutes and look to see if smoke is comming out the chimney m could take up to 20 minutes to clear the smoke before complete ignition

Finally more good news off market combustors are cheaper and work better $140

http://www.stovecombustors.com/ourcatalog.html

I remember Shane stating the cats may still glow even if they are no good anymore. The true way to know if the cat is still good is by monitoring the temp. If it doesn't give off the heat it use to and you see alot of smoke out the chimney it's time to replace it.

Thanks both of you. I have nothing to compare it too as I moved into the house and I never had a cat before (well, not the fireplace type anyway!) It seems to be solid, I took it out and vacuumed the thing and its holding up ok, and it glows fully bright orange when its working hard. So I think its ok.

Thanks

Dean

The main thing is you'll noitice a dramatic increase in heat output when you engage the cat. Mine has never glowed, and I generally consider that a good thing - If something;s glowing, I'm probably doing something wrong. The cat in the WWL is really buried back inthere. If you can see it glowing, you likely have cast glowing as well, which is seldom good. Or you have the iron piece in front of the cat missing.

I think I'd take a pass around looking for air leaks. The door to firebox seals are pretty iffy, as are some of the firebox seals at the top.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.