Cats?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Well, lots of people asked, "Is your stove a Cat or non-Cat?" Took a while to figure out what they meant...

We have an ancient Siamese cat that basically lives in our side rec room shere the stove is. Since this room sides on the garage, it gets colder than the rest of the house really fast. The cat only visits the rest of the house to come find me to tell me the stove needs lit.

Once the stove is lit and cooking, the cat sleeps under it. Yes, under it. If we fish him out, he is actually hot to the touch. Yes, I have convinced the Mrs. that we do NOT need to slide a kitty bed under there. Yes, we have obtained a heated kitty bed and located it elsewhere. No go.

Far from being "man's best friend", this cat is more like "man's weird reclusive roommate that poops in a box."

Does anyone else has such an animal? Is this as weird as it seems?

Siamese can be heat sponges. They were bred in a hot climate. Our cat soaks up the heat in front of the stove for about 30 minutes, then comes over to the sofa to cool off. Repeats the cycle about 30 minutes later.

When the fire is going, our cats are not far away. Two of them sleep as close as possible, almost touching the stove. The other two usually stretch out on the carpet in front of the stove.

Hello,

I have 5 cats all domestic short hairs(1 angora tortie) Dh and I would have to fight our way to the fireplace..They would camp out in front of our insert and remain there well after the fire died...My lil balls of purr would get so hot to the touch but they didn't care. They even know the sound of the insert door opening and come running!..

Pellet stove sits on a black tile hearth - the cat sleeps directly in front where the blower hits her. I've clocked her fur at well over 100° with the IR gun where it is uncorfortable to pet her.

The dogs pass out about 4 feet from the wood insert and normally move before getting near auto-ignition temps.

Cat ignores the wood insert - dogs ignore the pellet stove - wife ingores everthing but the thermostat...

Most of our cats like to hang out somewhere near the stove . . . one of them practically lives under it . . . or at least to the side or back.

Since this post is useless without pics.....

Our cat loves the stove, especially as other parts of the home cool down in the winter. Dang thing poops in a box and can really foul that room. I wish I stank that bad, such power.

Attachments

• 2-21-2011 016b.jpg
    2-21-2011 016b.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 1,045
dont get how you people like cats. lol. cant stand them. meow

ecocavalier02 said:

Obviously never been owned by one ;-P

HollowHill said:
ecocavalier02 said:

lol. we had them growing up and as i got older i really started hating them. lol.

We like dogs too. Critters in general really.

The boxer shown is dead now but we have this goofy black pug dog that is a hoot.

Attachments

• dogfire.jpg
    dogfire.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 967
ecocavalier02 said:

Depends on the personality . . . had one that acted more like a dog . . . loved hanging out on the hot tub . . . actually would play fetch with me and bury his toys when he was young . . . later in life would go for walks with me.

I have measured our cat at about 119F... I really have to wonder at what temperature it truely gets unhealthy. Our cat stares into the glowing secondaries not sure what to make of them. It sits immediatly in front of the fireplace.... after we have the first few fires of the year you can notice that all of his wiskers are kinked at the end from the wiskers touching the glass!

We also have the periodic melting where he struggles away from the fireplace and collapses on the floor a few feet from the fireplace to cool down a little...

as best as we can tell, his whole function in life is to move food from upstairs to a box in the basement.... we have a wild animal we let live in our house and poop in the basement..... we get upset when he doesnt poop in the basement... its a rediculous concept.

a3737473-1-IMG_9910.jpg

I really love my cat and I think he may possibly like me, but I really don't know. :coolsmirk:

My cat doesn't come in the house, but sleeps on any engine that has been ran recently...mower, blower, trimmer, saw, truck, van....whatever. If you park it, 2 min later the cat is all over it.

lukem said:
My cat doesn't come in the house, but sleeps on any engine that has been ran recently...mower, blower, trimmer, saw, truck, van....whatever. If you park it, 2 min later the cat is all over it.

When my wife was young they had a cat that did the same thing.....until one winter day when she and her brothers and sisters watched her father start the car to go to work and well you can guess the rest......meee-ow!

Jack Straw said:
lukem said:

When my wife was young they had a cat that did the same thing.....until one winter day when she and her brothers and sisters watched her father start the car to go to work and well you can guess the rest......meee-ow!

Been there done that.

On the last (and final, ever) batch of kittens this spring I made a run to return a movie at the red box in town 5 miles away. As I was backing up to leave I saw a kitten and thought "man, that looks just like our kitten...wait a second!"...it was riding somewhere in the frame or engine compartment.

Couple days later as I was backing out of the garage the F150 got the best of it.

Highbeam said:

The boxer shown is dead now but we have this goofy black pug dog that is a hoot.

HB, is that the pup, she passed?

Our cat is a basket case. If there is an empty basket in the house he will find it. And my wife collects baskets. This is his latest find.

Attachments

• IMG_0893web.jpg
    IMG_0893web.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 723
The cat that found us last summer is the consumate professional cat. She burns no bridges, pays great attention to all that goes on around her, studied each person/dog in the house and figured out how to forge a relationship with that individual on his or her terms. Even the dog who hates cats has tolerated the cat joining her for a nap on her dog bed. Learned quickly to stay off the kitchen counters. I'm guessing she's about 8 months old, but has that early maturity that comes from living by one's wits at a young age. She's a killing machine when it comes to wiping out the shrews and voles around the house, and I've learned not to wriggle my toes under the covers when she's on the bed.

She keeps her distance from the stove when it's hot, sprawls on the floor, but not too close. Climbed in there today to check out the firebox when I was cleaning the stove this morning. Since it's now early winter here, she has taken to this wood stove lifestyle, and seems appreciative of the little she asks for: food, shelter, safety, some attention. She's not obnoxious about demanding it--just appreciates a good chin scratch when offered. Respects my preference that she goes outside so I don't have to manage a litter box, and has protocols for asking to go out. I could not have ended up with a better cat if I'd put in an order at Cats-R-Us.

Her quirk? She has a smitten-kitten crush on my daughter's green fleece bathrobe. When she sees it, she greets it joyously. If it's laying on a bed, she snuggles up to it, kneads it, purrs so loudly she rattles, and makes sucky little nursing noises. This independent, savvy-smart, dressed-for-success little cat is reduced to this besotted idiot kitten in the presence of this bathrobe. She has a blankie.

BeGreen said:
Our cat is a basket case. If there is an empty basket in the house he will find it. And my wife collects baskets. This is his latest find.

Love this photo.

ecocavalier02 said:
HollowHill said:
ecocavalier02 said:

lol. we had them growing up and as i got older i really started hating them. lol.

I was like that, but with dogs. I don't hate them, but I definitely think the best dogs are other people's dogs - after a pat and a toss or two of the ball, they go home.

snowleopard said:
...Her quirk? She has a smitten-kitten crush on my daughter's green fleece bathrobe. When she sees it, she greets it joyously. If it's laying on a bed, she snuggles up to it, kneads it, purrs so loudly she rattles, and makes sucky little nursing noises. This independent, savvy-smart, dressed-for-success little cat is reduced to this besotted idiot kitten in the presence of this bathrobe. She has a blankie.

Perhaps her mother was green. :roll:

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Highbeam said:

HB, is that the pup, she passed?

Yes, the pup boxer was the runt of my BIL's purebreed litter. She had teensy weensy kidneys that couldn't keep up, scar tissue built up making them even smaller and as the dog got bigger she overwhelmed the organs and began to go toxic. Vet gave her 2-5 years and she didn't make it to 2. Sucks. I hate putting dogs down. She was a lap boxer too. Don't be sad for us though, we have a new pug that's fantastic.

Attachments

• doggy.jpg
    doggy.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 705
Status
Not open for further replies.