Caught up on kindlin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Old cedar barn beams that are infested with nails make for some fine kindling. Lord knows, I got a lifetime supply of beams.
IMG_1950 (2).jpg
IMG_1962 (2).jpg
Now if it would cool down enough so I felt like splitting up a little ash....
IMG_1960 (2).jpg
IMG_1961 (2).jpg

Next major family project is taking down a circa-1850's barn at my sister's house. It's got some awesome hand-hewn timbers - some 16"x16"x40'. Probably harvested from the land it's sitting on, making it old-growth hardwood. Saving some of it to build them a new, smaller building, with a roof that doesn't leak. And the rest of the good stuff is going to end up in the lumber racks in my shop. Not looking forward to pulling all the nails, but it will be worth it for a couple hundred BF of antique lumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.