Cause of consisitent cone shaped glass stains on Jotul C 450 insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonar

Nov 21, 2010
Eastern MN
I getting consistent cone shaped stains which fan out from the two top center retention screws (see attached pic). These creosote stains occur regardless of heat level, wood quality, and with or without smoke in the firebox. Has anyone seen this before and do you know how to prevent?

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 545
Weird!! Maybe a little gasket air leak, symmetrically there where the top arch meets the top of the door?

Thanks tickbitty. Yeah it is weird. I am also thinking air leak. Gasket seems OK though. It's a brand new stove. Maybe its the seal around the two glass retaining screws? How would I seal / Re-seat the screws? fireproof caulk of some kind? I'll also double check the gasket as you suggest.

It looks like a small leak on either side of the glass clamp. Check to verify that the gasket is in place at these points. If not, gently nudge it back in place. If you try to tighten the glass clamp, do it very carefully in small increments of 1/4 screw turn.

BeGreen Thank you! I'm not sure there is any gasket there at all. I was able to gently slide a toothpick between the clamp and the glass without meeting resistance. What would you recommend as next step? Get the installer back out here or can I fix?

BeGreen:
I pulled the schematic (see below). Looks like there is no gasket between the glass clip and the glass. Just the gasket that runs around the perimiter of the entire window and which is placed between the glass and the out door. The clips are simpy there to hold that glass against that single gasket.

I guess this is what you were trying to tell me. :cheese: I'll see if that larger gasket appears out of place and I'll check the screw tension carefully. Thanks again!!

Attachments

• window clamp.gif
    window clamp.gif
    13.8 KB · Views: 479
The gasket is very thin and the glass is very large. I found that a thin metal pocket ruler worked well at coaxing the gasket in place on our Castine. It was out a little bit at the top of the glass in one area.

Sonar, I'm glad you posted this. Good picture. I have a similar issue on my stove glass, and thought it might be leaks. The retaining clips on mine are longer and the top and bottom clips each have 4 screws holding them against the gasket.
I have those stains between each of the screws, so 3 of 'em. I put the gasket on about 2 months ago, and just now started seeing the stains. Might be more small leaks keeping me from completely controlling the air on this thing.
I made an attempt taking a pic, but it didn't show the stain well. Looks like it's time to reposition the gasket or put on a new one.

Ja, a gasket leak will do that. Could also be these guys.

CH.jpg

Thank you all for the great info. Nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem. Yup, it's probably cone heads...but I'm gonna try the metal ruler thing first (Thanks BeGreen) before I move on to re-seating the glass (good luck with that PappaDave, lemme know how that goes). BUT before I do anything I gotta let this thing cool down..we're having a cold snap here now and I just hate to stop burning! I suppose I could draw little faces in the soot LLigetfa...but I only have 2 cones....Veldar will feel left out....

Seriously though, think I should have the installer back out since its only a two days old stove or is this an easy adjustment (I hate waiting)? I'd rather do it myself, but I don't want to be dumb about this either.

Since it's only a two day old stove, I would call the dealer and tell them. That way they will know the stove came that way... and they can either fix it themselves or if they tell you to fix it, they can't blame you for messing with it (if the problem gets worse or the glass breaks or something.) In the meantime it's pretty minor and you can keep using it through your cold snap!

They look like Christmas trees, maybe keep the leak til after the holidays :)

weatherguy said:
They look like Christmas trees, maybe keep the leak til after the holidays :)
LOL
Clean small pinhole size spots and the fire will glow through them looking like Christmas tree lights.

BeGreen said:
It looks like a small leak on either side of the glass clamp. Check to verify that the gasket is in place at these points. If not, gently nudge it back in place. If you try to tighten the glass clamp, do it very carefully in small increments of 1/4 screw turn.

I have a similar condition with my F400 Castine, except for the location and it isn't cone shaped (more like triangles). It occurs in the lower left and right bottom of the glass on my stove. Wood is dry and I burn on the hot side, so I don't think that is the cause. It has always done this to some degree, but I think the condition is getting worse. Gasket looks OK, but I don't know how to check it (no dollar bill test for glass gasket). I would change the glass gasket, but I am not sure about the amount of pressure that should be applied by the two holding clamps - how much to tighten them and when (barely snug when cold and re tighten slightly after first burn?). Also, there is a small piece of gasket material under each clamp. Is this just made from a piece of 3/8 LD rope gasket or purchased separately? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Thanks
Art

Sonar, got the pics to come out this time.
Mind you, this is AFTER I replaced this gasket just a couple days after your thread. I think I'm going to get one for the Englander (it's wider), and see if that doesn't help.

Attachments

• IMG_4786resize.jpg
    IMG_4786resize.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_4787resize.jpg
    IMG_4787resize.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 316
I installed a Jotul 450 this week which was successful due to the great information on this forum I am having this exact problem with the two cones coming down from the top. What was done to resolve the problem. Living in Florida I had to trave 3 hours north to purchase the insert so it's hard to work with the dealer to correct the problem. As far as I can tell the gasket looks good.

My parents have a new 450 and the have the same cone problem. If you run the stove with the air wide open, the cones are very minor. Close the air down and you can see them form right before your eyes. It must be an air leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.