1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Caution : Sealing your flue pipe with Silicone Sealant

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by pjmac, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjmac

pjmac New Member

Loc:
    Coshocton, Ohio
    I though this may help someone else. When I installed my pellet stove it said in the directions to silicone the pipe joints. I did this but now I can not get them apart to clean. My stove is in my finished basement family room and it top vents through stainless steel 6" single wall pipe into a masonary chimney and is reduced to 4" stainless steel pipe up 18' to a cap. When I installed I put a 12" stainless steel draw band on thinking I could remove the 2 bolts and put my vac into the 6" pipe back into the 4" 90 elbow at the vase of the chimney. But when I removed the bolts on the draw band the silicone is holding too tight that I could not get it loose. I put the silicone on the 2 pieces of pipe and slide them together and then installed 3 screws. I shoud have put the pipes together and then put a small bead of silicone on the joint. I think that I will try to use a heat gun on the draw band this week and see if I can get the silicone hot enough to get apart. I was just trying to do a good safe job, I guess I did a little over-kill !

Happy Burning

Pat

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    I've had to take a torch to pellet vent to get it apart. I feel your pain.
  3. Robbie

Robbie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Tennessee- Great Smoky Mountains.
    Looks like a dull thin knife like a putty knife inserted in between and slowly moved around or twisted would break them apart enough ?

Robbie
  4. pjmac

pjmac New Member

Loc:
    Coshocton, Ohio
    I think I am going to try the propane torch and a putty knife.
  5. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Once you get it off, use 600*tape next time, if its a rear vent stove, and you going out and up, you could have room for a T with a clean out. that would make it easier.
  6. pjmac

pjmac New Member

Loc:
    Coshocton, Ohio
    MountainStoveGuy

I have the top vent adapter with a short piece of pipe ( 12" draw band ) and then a 90 with a length of pipe going into the chimney. If I would replace the 90 with a tee I don't think it would look very good.
  7. Czech

Czech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Twin Cities, MN
    Yep, been there, done that. Used the Duravent with the impregnated band, wonder now if I should have not used silicone also. I needed a Sawzall to get it apart, cost the price of a new 4' peice of pipe. I like MSG's idea with the tape!
  8. pjmac

pjmac New Member

Loc:
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Problem solved ! I got home from work and went straight to the work shop and got my torch. I heated the pipe for a time and got the silcone soft and slide a very thin putty knife in the joint of the pipe and slide around the pipe and PRESTO, the pipe slide apart. Lesson learned.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.