CB 1200i Exhaust Blower Removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Wojeck

Nov 3, 2012
I have a Quadra File CB 1200i and the exhaust blower is making a whining sound. I've read in other postings that the whine might be caused by build up on the blades causing the the blower to be out of balance. I'd like to remove the blower and clean it, but I'm not sure how to get it out.

Do I remove the insert from within the hearth? If so, do I need to disconnect the exhaust pipe first? Any instruction on this is appreciated.

I dont have an insert. I have the 1200 Freestander .. But if you can look inside the Surround, you may see how the flue is attached.

How old is the unit? When was the last time it was cleaned?

The exhaust blower is easy to remove, once the surround is off and stove is slid out.

Unplug unit, then unplug the 2 wires going to blower, then remove the six 1/4" screws. You will need a Combustion blower gasket on hand. As the one on the unit will likely be destroyed.

Take a good look behind the unit. Or post pics. Hopefully someone with the 1200i chimes in

Dexter, Thanks for the reply.

The stove is about 10 years old. I clean it pretty frequently, and I've had it professionally cleaned to. However, I do know that the exhaust blower has not been removed and cleaned. I've attached two pictures. The first just shows how the insert itself sits in the mantle. The mantle was built to give the illusion of a fireplace. The second shows where the flue is attached. I'm thinking I can disconnect it there, but I'm not completely sure.

Thanks!!

photo.JPG

photo2.JPG

If you pull the baffle plates and the take the screw out of the little plate on the left side of the burn pot and remove the plate you should be able to see the impeller of the combustion fan without removing it. At least I can on a 2010 model.

Looks like you can get to pretty easily. No need to remove any venting.

You can do as DBCOOPER has said, or remove the whole Motor/Blower, take out the 6 small screws (1/4" nutdriver) in the Round plate that the combustion motor (3 small bolts with rubber vibration reducers/dont remove these) is mounted to. This will allow you to remove the entire assembly and scrape the vanes and clean behind them.

Just remember, you will need a new gasket to do put the stove back together and ALWAYS Un-Plug the unit when working on it

Reactions: mralias
I've been able to access it from the inside as DBCOOPER said, but I haven't tried scraping the vanes yet, just vacuuming them. I'll try that first. If that doesn't do the trick, is there enough clearance on the left to pull the motor?

Thanks for everyones feedback!!

The motor should only need to come out about 2" (depth of vanes). Its not much at all.

So whichever is easier. Just remember that the build up between the mounting plate and blower vanes needs cleaned every once in awhile. Airflow is reduced when this area is not open.

Sounds like your on track.

SUCCESS!!!

I followed the advice that DBCOOPER posted, pulling the baffle plates and the little plate on the left. I then cleaned the vanes with a wire brush. The stove is now significantly quieter than it was before. Thanks again for the suggestions and advice!

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.