CB 5036 Quote. Sound fair?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What i've found is the colder it is outside, obviously I have to build a fire more often. In the shoulder season the boiler room stays above freezing, on one fire every two or three days. But my house is not super insulated. R-19 walls and R30 ceilings, so my house calls for heat pretty often. I always figured if i needed xtra heat in the boiler room I would run a small pex line thru my PVC conduit from house to boiler room. Put in a radiator of some sort with a TRV for control. Hook that little rad right into the house system. Even if i was off line with the wood boiler for a long time in the winter, the oil system would keep that warm.

Reactions: BoilerMan
Forgot to mention.....SEASONED FIREWOOD. No green wood in a gasser. Seasoned for at least one year, preferably two yrs or more. Makes a huge difference

Standing dead wood, even with the bark off will still measure 30%+ moisture content. You have to pay the piper and cut and split it, let it season for a year. More for oak.
One of my boys was cutting dead oak (blight is a big problem here) and we measured numerous pieces of it. This stuff has been dead for 3-5 years and standing there with 80% of the bark falling off. Wood will not be suitable for a gasifier unless it's been cut split and stacked for at least a year.
If you're burning a CB or other outdoor burner it will dry as you burn it. You'll lose about 40-50% of the heat content in the wood evaporating the water out of it though

I'm definitely looking into a gasser with storage but the local P&M guy has quoted me $10,000 installed on a BL2840 which is similar to the CB model that was 6K more.

I have a gasser outside and in a shed that is only 6'x6' . It works but is way too small. I would have gone 10'x10' and then could put a lot of wood in it to dry it out and if the weather is nasty it stayed dry as can be.

Reactions: woodsmaster
I have a gasser outside and in a shed that is only 6'x6' . It works but is way too small. I would have gone 10'x10' and then could put a lot of wood in it to dry it out and if the weather is nasty it stayed dry as can be.
Are you running direct to a heat exchanger or do you have storage?

Funny you mention wanting to go bigger. I'm laing my "shed" out right now. After pricing stuff out and thinking about things, It's turned into a 24'x24' annex to my 24'x24' detached pole garage. I've never heard anyone whine about too much garage / storage space. I'm thinking it should store my boiler, 2,000 gallons of storage, and 20-24 cords nicely. >>

I'm thinking it should store my boiler, 2,000 gallons of storage, and 20-24 cords nicely. >>
Zoiks! Solotta wood you got there Scooby!

TS

Funny you mention wanting to go bigger. I'm laing my "shed" out right now. After pricing stuff out and thinking about things, It's turned into a 24'x24' annex to my 24'x24' detached pole garage. I've never heard anyone whine about too much garage / storage space. I'm thinking it should store my boiler, 2,000 gallons of storage, and 20-24 cords nicely. >>

About exactly what I told my wife. Finished my new 'barn' this winter. 36x72. No man's garage is too big.. EVER

JP

sometimes they're too big when you get a new spring cleaning.
LOL.. did take me a couple hours to sweep the floors and pick up. It's nice to be working on my snowcat..and just walk away. Tools and stuff aren't in the way, or gonna get lost.

Reactions: flyingcow
I'm thinking it should store my boiler, 2,000 gallons of storage, and 20-24 cords nicely.
Sometimes stuffing a large structure full of wood doesn't work well unless you're going to burn the whole lot in one season or you have access to several sides of your horde. The woodshed with the green roof is 20x20 and only holds 9 cords. Three cord going east/west (the rows you can see) and two rows of 3 cords each going north/south) with a Jeep Wrangler between them. Nothing worse than having to drag out the unburned stash to stack your new wood every spring. The dog kennel in the foreground holds 6 cords and is accessible from two sides. Some folks around here build their sheds in the form of a + and are able to access four years of wood without needing to handle it two more times.

woodsheds resized.jpg o

Fred61,
My same thoughts. If i was going to build a wood shed, it would hold twice as much as I burn a year. With a walk way down the middle. I like burning wood, but don't like to handle it.

Fred61,
My same thoughts. If i was going to build a wood shed, it would hold twice as much as I burn a year. With a walk way down the middle. I like burning wood, but don't like to handle it.

I have had those same thoughts about wood sheds. Problem is I am thinking 4 years minimum. That can turn into a fairly large building and the added cost really cuts into the economics of burning wood.

So for now I stack and move stack, stack and move......

gg

Reactions: flyingcow
Up until this year the three cord blocks have worked well for me but I have depleted my three cord block for this season and I'm still burning. The one thing that has reminded me of the past and all that wood handling is the horde of free wood I was given. Ended up stacking it outside and can now look forward to re-stacking it in the woodsheds as space becomes available. Although it is nicely stacked on 8 foot pallets and covered, it is not in a handy spot for picking during the heating season.

Status
Not open for further replies.