CB 5648 blown fuse.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon_E

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2014
SW VT
Hi,

Came home tonight and out to load my CB 5648, noticed that the temperature controller was dark but the pump still running. Opened the door and there was a lot of buildup in from of the draft door, not sure if the door was sticking but it was shortly unstuck, I scraped it clean. I pulled out the fuse (5A, 250v fast blow) as it is a dual-fuel model, the fuse was burnt. I put in a new fuse (but OLD, fuse was probably 40 years old) and it blew within 3 seconds. I am not sure what to check. I have been losing LED's on the temperature controller display, to the point where sometimes I have to guess the temperature until it jumps up to the next ten degree mark. I need to replace the TC but would that have caused the blown fuse? Or the draft door sticking? Is there anything else I should be looking at? Thanks

This'll be a short thread. Solved my problem. Replaced the temperature controller with one that actually has functional LEDs, but still blowing fuses. Checked solenoid, it was not stuck but was looking pretty bad, so I replaced it. Turns out the solenoid was the culprit and now I'm back in business. While fixing the solenoid, discovered the door has a monster crack in it though - never noticed it before, no idea how long it's been there. May have been the cause of solenoid failure. In any case, it's under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.