CB 6048 Hook up Question to Existing Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

intc97

Apr 24, 2008
Churubusco, NY
I just placed the boiler on the pad and have the ditch dug for the insulated pipe. I have a Weil Mc Clain oil fired boiler and 4 separate zones for my hot water heat. I have a super coil in the boiler for direct hot water. My first question is since my boiler is pressurized because of the huse water pressure and my OWB is not, does it make sence to depressurize my oil fired boiler so I can make a direct hook up of my OWB? My second question is since I plan on adding water storage at a later date, sound I increase the pump size now for future use? My dealer told me an 09 Teco pump would be fine but I was thinking of going with an 014. Any cooments would be helpfull.
Thanks

North Border Homestead said:
I just placed the boiler on the pad and have the ditch dug for the insulated pipe. I have a Weil Mc Clain oil fired boiler and 4 separate zones for my hot water heat. I have a super coil in the boiler for direct hot water. My first question is since my boiler is pressurized because of the huse water pressure and my OWB is not, does it make sence to depressurize my oil fired boiler so I can make a direct hook up of my OWB? My second question is since I plan on adding water storage at a later date, sound I increase the pump size now for future use? My dealer told me an 09 Teco pump would be fine but I was thinking of going with an 014. Any cooments would be helpfull.
Thanks

You'd probably be better off using a flat plate heat exchanger between the CB and the oil boiler, so that the oil boiler remains sealed, pressurized, and separate from the CB water.

Pump size is determined primarily by the output of the boiler, not by whether you have storage or not. If the 09 is big enough, I doubt that future storage would change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.