CB classic to gassifier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeallen5

Jan 26, 2011
S. Maine
I presently have a CB 6048 classic that does a good job serviceing my 5000 sg ft old farm house and a 1000 sq ft garage.
We are having a cold snap in Maine and the old classic is eating the wood big time. I think it might be time to move into a outdoor gasifier - although I hate to get rid of my ole reliable CB unit. I have read about the issues with the CB 2400 and would like people's thoughts on a good reliable gassifier that would burn less wood than I am presently using ( approx. 20-25 cords). I have looked at Wood doctor, Pro-Fab, and the Sequoyar- any ideas on the best choice?

Attachments

• cb unit 6048e.jpg
    cb unit 6048e.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 541
20-25 cords? You'll never see that statistic in Central Boiler's advertising.

I'd consider building a small shed and putting a Garn, EKO, or Tarm in it, and make it big enough for a couple years wood storage. Any of those gasification boilers should cut your wood consumption in half. But it will need to be dry, split hardwood.

Yup, what reggie said. Also, seen some posters using a Portage-Main outdoor gasser. Liked the look of it. Good Luck.

neighbor/friend has an E-classic. For the same money you can buy a gasser plus buy the storage. Also, people have used a GARN and loved it. gassers' wil use alot less wood than an E-classic.

I know someone who is getting through 8 cords a month with the E 2300, and that was before it got really cold.

Say a CB6048 could put out 250,000btus at 30% efficiency, that would be about 2/3rd's of a cord a day using average hardwood.

A Garn seems a good bet, but probably still getting on for 10 cords a year.

It will cost whatever, so it depends on the wood saving, if it is free to harvest it will be a very long payback.

I have a Wood Doctor HE5000 on my second heating season. 2000 sqft house and attached 800 sqft in-law suite with 2 forced air heaters kept @ 75 degrees 24/7, heat all DHW using 2 showers, 2 clothes washers, 2 dishwashers, keep my 500 gal hot tub @ 104, and keeps my 24' X 32' lightly insulated pole barn @ 50 all winter. I love the boiler, really well built. I used about 10 full cord last winter and I am on trak to use the same this winter. I put a wheel barrow full of wood in 3 times a day during these cold snaps......less when temps stay above 30 or so. I would recomend a Wood Doctor gasser to anyone. On the really cold spells, I think that I should have gone with the 8000, but I have never run out of heat, but when down in the teens, I am working the 5000 hard. As mentioned, the portage and main optimizer gassers look like a nice unit too. Don't know if they were out when I got my Wood Doctor, but I would have seriously considered one if I saw it then. I also looked at the e-classics, pro-fab, empyer (I think) and settled on the Wood Doctor . Like I said, I am very happy with it.

That P&M gasser sure seems nice. The Garn has a hellofa proven rep. though & is hard to beat in its btu range. You can get good money for your CB & put it toward a Garn. I don't think you would ever look back, Randy

i have the profab empyre pro series, uses a lot less wood than my friend who has the CB. get a pretty good burn time too.
which ever brand/model you decide on.... go with a gasser.

Status
Not open for further replies.