CB e classic 2300 leak....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warm in VT

Sep 24, 2008
Northern Vt
Hello everyone, it has been a while since I have posted anything. I was asked by a friend also operating an e classic bought last year to post this and see what I could find out. He went out to his e classic yesterday to find water coming out of it. Upon looking inside he found that there was water in the firebox and running down into the reaction chamber. ( Not a good feeling to find that). He found that there were two small pin holes in the side of the firebox where the firebrick used to be. He removed his brickls last year as instructed by CB. Has anyone else heard of or know of any similar stories. ( I am hoping this is a fluke and bad luck on his part and wont be a common issue). Last winter was the first year with his unit, it doesn't seem possible that it could have eatebn through the metal THAT fast? He does have the corrosion inhibitor in his water and he uses the creosote powder in the firebox as recommended. Thanks for any input I can pass along to him as he tries to figure out what he will do now to try to sorrect the problem and more importantly to see what CB will do about it! Best wishes in the NEW YEAR!

A friend of mine went through the same thing 2 years ago. Water leaking from a weld or dimple of some sort. I know he drained the boiler and had a portable welder repair the spot. I believe CB may have reimbursed him for some of the cost. I will try to get in touch with him for more info. System has been running fine ever since.

More and more e-Classics springing up around here. I haven't heard good nor bad from anyone about them yet.

The removal of firebrick . . .Hmmm . . . Why? Was the newly exposed area covered up with firebrick BY DESIGN so as to avoid creosote formation? The corrosion inhibitor may work if it is rust from the inside out . . . but as I found out on my GW, the corrosion may be from the fire-side, not the water-side.

The dealer was called and they are doing the same for him. they are sending a welder today to spot weld it and if needed they will do more extensive repairs this spring after the heating season at their expense. The dealer advised that they sold 100 units last year and this is only the third they have seen with this problem. apparently they are attributing the problem to corrosion that developed behind the firebricks that were in the original units. So far it sounds like CB is being good about fixing the problem and the delaer has been excellent. My unit and 3 others I know in operation in this area all bought at the same time are operating very well with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.