CB 'upgrade' and a seasoning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon_E

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2014
SW VT
I have a Central Boiler CB5648, born in September 2004 according to the data plate on the front. It's actually been in use only nine years, I didn't start using it until September of 2006. It's still in good shape but I have replaced a few parts over the years - the door, as it was cracked; the door gasket; part of the chimney and several Taco pumps; the solenoid; the digital temperature readout; the electrical outlet (mice!) and a bunch of light bulbs. I also melted the light bulb cover on the front.... I do burn a lot of wood, estimated 10-12+ cords annually, but it's burning 365 days a year as I use it for all domestic hot water as well as winter heat and supplemental pool heating. I am about to hook it up to a new garage with radiant floor heat, which will pretty much max out its' capacity and connections.

I am considering an "upgrade" to an EPA-approved OWB, before this one gets too old to sell or be worth much more than scrap. Is it worth considering a new OWB given the age of this one? Is there any market for used, non-EPA-approved OWB's? Are they still legal in some secret place where the EPA hasn't found yet? And, what might be a typical lifespan of a boiler like this? Am I going to be looking at replacement in five or ten years anyway?

I am also giving this consideration for a few more reasons: first, I have never been really happy where I put the OWB in the first place, and I'd move it (even to digging up the underground lines) if I replaced it. Second, the Dual Fuel option was a good idea at first, but has become a crutch and a massive sucker of expen$ive propane. I would simply put a solar panel and water-to-water heat pump in the basement for DHW from late May through mid-September. Third, I'm not getting younger, and burning less wood over time might be a good thing.

The seasoning question is - for these newer units, should I be assuming that my wood supply should be as dry as possible? I do burn some junk during the summer months, including wet/punky/rotten logs, pallets and a lot of softwoods. I'm guessing the quality of the firewood needs to improve significantly? Not that I have a problem with that, but planning will be of greater importance.

I hate to see a topic go with no replys, so heres one - These are just my opinions - Your 10 year old CB is junk, surprised it hasn't sprung a leak yet. Selling it to someone [other than the scrap yard] jarring it around moving it, you'd probably find it leaking. Please stop polluting the beautiful state of Vermont by burning "wet/punky/rotten logs, pallets and a lot of softwoods." in this third world furnace you have. Newer gasser type units need dryer wood, but the trade off is you use almost half of what you were using, with virtually no smoke. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.