CB1200 ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaymaine34

Burning Hunk
Jan 5, 2013

So heres the ? I was cleaning up one of my stoves today ( with a drill and wire wheel ) I notice the white crack on the upper right side of the first photo . Papper thin ! Looks like it was high heat silicone . Im thinking it came off when I used the whire wheel . Heres where it gets interesting . I call Quad customer service making sure its not a cracked weld ! Im told they never use silicone in their fireboxes only welds . Ok but are you sure I ask ? Nice lady says let me ask . Man comes on the phone I repeat question . He says I dont think so but to be honest they are all made over seas and I havent seen one myself in 4 plus years . Why not call you local dealer for help ( GEEEEZZZZ Thanks !! )
Call my dealer their installer is out and he would know best they will call me back .
I happen to drive by and see him loading his truck and stop . Ask my question again . He's pretty sure its silicone but assures me it doesnt matter ! If I dont smell smoke all is good ! Just keep an eye on it !!
No one Ive talked to gives me the warm and fuzzy feeling they know what they are talking about !
Anyone know ? I looked at one of my other stoves no silicone .3 weld point one at top middle and bottom . As you can see its got minor surface rust and i want to paint . My dealer says can reseal it but it wont last . So why was it there ? I bought tis brand new !
Sorry for the long story ! I just hate not knowing the ansewers tto things ! As you can see i the last photo burns fine no smoke smell

Heres a close up

They use a high temp sealant of some sort. I think it's a cement.

It's more than likely applied before the two pieces are riveted together. Mine was like that too. After sealing mine again, I noticed no difference.

Don't use a low temp (500*) like you would for exhaust sealing. Use a higher temp sealant or cement. Closer to 2,000*

Thanks Dex ! Just glad I'm not crazy !

Reactions: DexterDay
Put cement on mine in that same spot last year. Didnt notice any difference.

Funny 3 people have it but Quad says they don't do it ! Gremlins ?
Moey and Dex what did you use where did you get it ?
Sounds like it won't make a difference in performance but I'm gonna paint it so I think it will look cleaner with that filled in

I used a 2,000° sealant. Dont remeber the brand (may have been Meeco red devil). It was like a furnace cement.

Make sure the area is Very clean (unplug stove and use a good fast drying cleaner). I used brake parts cleaner, but whatever you have available should work. Then after applying the bead, use your finger to massage it in pretty good. Mine was still on after a couple years. Stove is gone now. But its at a buddy of mines house. So I still see it.

I used rutland gasket cement didnt work very well.

I picked up some today at HD but from what I'm hearing I'm not thinking its even worth it ? It says to heat slowly . Not sure how I would do that a hair dryer maybe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.