1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. Jaymaine34

Jaymaine34 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jaymaine34

Jaymaine34 Member

So heres the ? I was cleaning up one of my stoves today ( with a drill and wire wheel ) I notice the white crack on the upper right side of the first photo . Papper thin ! Looks like it was high heat silicone . Im thinking it came off when I used the whire wheel . Heres where it gets interesting . I call Quad customer service making sure its not a cracked weld ! Im told they never use silicone in their fireboxes only welds . Ok but are you sure I ask ? Nice lady says let me ask . Man comes on the phone I repeat question . He says I dont think so but to be honest they are all made over seas and I havent seen one myself in 4 plus years . Why not call you local dealer for help ( GEEEEZZZZ Thanks !! )
    Call my dealer their installer is out and he would know best they will call me back .
    I happen to drive by and see him loading his truck and stop . Ask my question again . He's pretty sure its silicone but assures me it doesnt matter ! If I dont smell smoke all is good ! Just keep an eye on it !!
    No one Ive talked to gives me the warm and fuzzy feeling they know what they are talking about !
    Anyone know ? I looked at one of my other stoves no silicone .3 weld point one at top middle and bottom . As you can see its got minor surface rust and i want to paint . My dealer says can reseal it but it wont last . So why was it there ? I bought tis brand new !
    Sorry for the long story ! I just hate not knowing the ansewers tto things ! As you can see i the last photo burns fine no smoke smell
  3. Jaymaine34

Jaymaine34 Member

[​IMG]
    Heres a close up
  4. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

They use a high temp sealant of some sort. I think it's a cement.

It's more than likely applied before the two pieces are riveted together. Mine was like that too. After sealing mine again, I noticed no difference.

Don't use a low temp (500*) like you would for exhaust sealing. Use a higher temp sealant or cement. Closer to 2,000*
  5. Jaymaine34

Jaymaine34 Member

Thanks Dex ! Just glad I'm not crazy !
    DexterDay likes this.
  6. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Put cement on mine in that same spot last year. Didnt notice any difference.
  7. Jaymaine34

Jaymaine34 Member

Funny 3 people have it but Quad says they don't do it ! Gremlins ?
    Moey and Dex what did you use where did you get it ?
    Sounds like it won't make a difference in performance but I'm gonna paint it so I think it will look cleaner with that filled in
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I used a 2,000° sealant. Dont remeber the brand (may have been Meeco red devil). It was like a furnace cement.

Make sure the area is Very clean (unplug stove and use a good fast drying cleaner). I used brake parts cleaner, but whatever you have available should work. Then after applying the bead, use your finger to massage it in pretty good. Mine was still on after a couple years. Stove is gone now. But its at a buddy of mines house. So I still see it.
  9. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I used rutland gasket cement didnt work very well.
  10. Jaymaine34

Jaymaine34 Member

I picked up some today at HD but from what I'm hearing I'm not thinking its even worth it ? It says to heat slowly . Not sure how I would do that a hair dryer maybe ?