CB1200i firepot cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBCOOPER

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2010
Stowe, Pa
Below are the instructions from the manual. Working the firepot cleaning rod in and out
has become more difficult lately. I thought this was due to build up from burning Stove Chow on low a lot recently. A through clean and inspection revealed no noticeable build up in the bottom of the firepot yet there was still a strong resistance when operating the cleaning rod about half way thru its stroke.I was getting ready to disassemble the clean out plate from the fire pot to get better access so I sprayed a little wd40 on the bolt that it pivots on to aid in taking it apart and low and behold it started working very smoothly as it was binding on the bolt. What would be a good product to lubricate this bolt with? It must get very hot.

Cleaning Firepot with Cleaning Rod & Firepot
Clean-Out Tool
• Frequency:

Daily or more often as needed
• By:

Homeowner
a. Be sure the appliance is allowed to cool, has been
unplugged and the exhaust blower is off. If you are
just cleaning the firepot, there is no need to unplug the
appliance.
b. Pull firepot cleaning rod OUT and IN a couple of times
to help shake debris loose. If rod is hard to pull, it may
be necessary to use your fi repot clean-out tool to chip
away material that has built up on the bottom plate of
the firepot and to push out any clinkers. Larger clinkers
may have to be removed from the top of the fi repot.
Corn clinkers can be especially difficult to break up.
c. T he firepot floor plate must be fully closed when
fi nished.

See Figure 27.1 on page 27

I used graphite powder.

I put Never-Sieze on my pivot bolts when I first got the stoves and they still turn freely as long as I have NO build up on the dump valve. I still have that can of Never-Sieze silver stuff after 50 years! You don't need much......... to get it from elbow to finger tip AND NOSE! :)
I also still haven't gotten around to making the little metal plates to put on the bottom of the burn pot so there is no buildup. The plate falls into the ash when you pull it. Clean it and put it back in. I can't remember whose idea it was but it's one of the best ideas going! Too bad I'm too lazy to get out a pair of tin snips and make them! The height of laziness, I guess.

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.