CDW 264CCL (Large Convection) cat bypass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
I tried the dollar bill test and failed miserably and my chimney always seem to smoke a bit..Well I decided to replace the catalytic pass yesterday and it turned out to be more work than I anticipated.. To replace this gasket you must remove the bypass damper and to do this you have to remove the top of the stove.. I did find several other places smoke was bypassing the cat and also where fresh air was leaking into the cat chamber.. The whole job took about 4-5 hrs. total but the result was worth it as my chimney is now smoke free plus the cat heats up faster.. Here are the pics to illustrate what the cat bypass gasket channel looks like once cleaned out..

Attachments

• 2010 12 13 001 (Small).jpg
    2010 12 13 001 (Small).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 293
  • 2010 12 13 002 (Small).jpg
    2010 12 13 002 (Small).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 290
  • 2010 12 13 003 (Small).jpg
    2010 12 13 003 (Small).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 276
  • 2010 12 13 004 (Small).jpg
    2010 12 13 004 (Small).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 298
Very nice job! You will be extremely happy you took the time to do that. It looks like the same damper area and gasket groove that my stove has however My Cat enclosure in the front is rounded so air can blow all the way around it.

certified106 said:
Very nice job! You will be extremely happy you took the time to do that. It looks like the same damper area and gasket groove that my stove has however My Cat enclosure in the front is rounded so air can blow all the way around it.

Thanx Cert! This should eliminate that creosote issue I have been seeing.. Actually this stove takes a 6" dia. X 2" thick cat. I removed the cat chamber to do this job and carefully applied furnace cement to the surface which mates the cat chamber to the stove... If you ever need to do this make sure you have about a quart of furnace cement on hand to reseal the top of the stove.. I had enough 3/8" rope gasket left over from when I sealed the side door to to the cat bypass and also had enough furnace cement too.. Does your stove have the refractory mat'l around the cat? I can see why they added this and I think it would be beneficial to cat warm up time plus lessen the effect of cat cooling when the blower runs.. Hopefully this gasket will last a long time as this was a pretty big job.. At least now I know how to do it :)

Ray

raybonz said:
certified106 said:

Thanx Cert! This should eliminate that creosote issue I have been seeing.. Actually this stove takes a 6" dia. X 2" thick cat. I removed the cat chamber to do this job and carefully applied furnace cement to the surface which mates the cat chamber to the stove... If you ever need to do this make sure you have about a quart of furnace cement on hand to reseal the top of the stove.. I had enough 3/8" rope gasket left over from when I sealed the side door to to the cat bypass and also had enough furnace cement too.. Does your stove have the refractory mat'l around the cat? I can see why they added this and I think it would be beneficial to cat warm up time plus lessen the effect of cat cooling when the blower runs.. Hopefully this gasket will last a long time as this was a pretty big job.. At least now I know how to do it :)

Ray

My cat does have the original refractory material around it so it heats up quicker. I'm kind of surprised that we haven't had to replace it as it's 18 years old but it's still in great shape. So now that you have a few days on the new gaskets can you tell the difference? I know that I could tell quite a difference the first day I used mine with new gaskets. Just as a heads up when I replaced my gaskets I bought the furnace cement in a caulking tube which makes it alot less messy to work with.

certified106 said:
raybonz said:
certified106 said:

Ray

My cat does have the original refractory material around it so it heats up quicker. I'm kind of surprised that we haven't had to replace it as it's 18 years old but it's still in great shape. So now that you have a few days on the new gaskets can you tell the difference? I know that I could tell quite a difference the first day I used mine with new gaskets. Just as a heads up when I replaced my gaskets I bought the furnace cement in a caulking tube which makes it alot less messy to work with.

Good to know that the refractory mat'l has held up so well on yours.. I knew about the caulking type of furnace cement but had this around.. Wasn't that bad using a putty knife but caulking would have been easier I'm sure.. The chimney/stove burns cleaner because all the smoke must go through the cat now plus the cat heats faster.. I think the insulation your stove has would make quite a difference..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.