CDW Federal Airtight Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edison38

Dec 9, 2008
central NY
I know that many of you have low regard for the stove and you are probably correct. Nevertheless, the stove came with the house, which is a second home rather than my primary residence, and I just can't justify replacing the stove right now. I have a few questions about operating the stove to best advantage and would appreciate any input.

I have the operating manual and am trying to follow the instructions. On initial start up I use only the primary air control. When the external stove temperature reaches about 400 I close the by-pass gate and close the primary then open the secondary controls.

I read the article on Tending a Wood Fire and believe that the Federal Airtight qualifies as a type #2 stove. The primary air control dial is on the ash door at the front of the stove and there are two secondary air control dials on the side loading door. If I understand the article correctly I should be raking the embers toward the side loading door when reloading.

The stove has very small fire box and thus far I generally get the external temperature to the 350-400 range with reload needed about every 3 hours. When it is cruising in that temperature range I can see some secondary burn occurring near the cat so I believe that I am on the right path. There is obviously a learning curve associated with using the various air controls, etc. so I would appreciate any hints.

I did not install the stove and cannot answer questions about draft, chimney height etc. The wood I am currently burning was standing dead wood on the property, probably maple.

Hi edison I don't know about cat stove...they're not my lane. There have been a lot of posts about them if you wanted to do a search for 'Dutch west ' in this forum. Most of the owners really like those stove too...surprised no one's stepped up to help yet. Patience ....

I burned a CDW Rocky Mountain for a while.

IIRC...

After I had a fire going and loaded up I kept the bottom, lower coal air intake, open until the stove reached temp. Then I opened the upper intake a bit... maybe 1 turn or so. I slowly closed the bottom and engaged the cat. I never touched the cat intake.

Matt

I used a CDW for 15 years and it was great I had the EX Large it was a 90s stove. I never really raked any coals or did anything but fill it with wood . I left my secondary air open about 1/2 turn all the time and just filled the stove and worked the damper and intake air . I cleaned the ash twice a week . John

savageactor7 said:
Hi edison I don't know about cat stove...they're not my lane. There have been a lot of posts about them if you wanted to do a search for 'Dutch west ' in this forum. Most of the owners really like those stove too...surprised no one's stepped up to help yet. Patience ....

Thanks, I did search the forum and found a few mentions of the stoves but no real hints on operating them.

Mine appears to be from the mid 80's and is rather small; probably too small for the area it is in. Eventually when I move into the house full time I will move it down to the basement workshop and replace it with something new but for now am using it for supplemental heat in the main living area. Still, I am a little frustrated by the amount of tinkering I have to do to keep the stove up to temperature and the short burn time.

wellbuilt home said:
I used a CDW for 15 years and it was great I had the EX Large it was a 90s stove. I never really raked any coals or did anything but fill it with wood . I left my secondary air open about 1/2 turn all the time and just filled the stove and worked the damper and intake air . I cleaned the ash twice a week . John

Thanks John. Apparently, I have an older and smaller model. No damper installed, just the three dial controls. Also a very small ash drawer that has to be dumped almost every day.

Huge question though-when the instructions say to "turn" the dial I have been assuming that a turn is more of a 1/4 turn rather than a full 360 of the dial.

Status
Not open for further replies.