cedar decking - ok to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosecutter

Nov 18, 2016
Hudson valley
A neighbor who's a woodworker gave us a bunch of scraps to burn. There's a lot of 16" pieces of what looks like cedar decking boards. They don't appear to have any finish on them, but the ends of the raw boards have a waxy buildup. I thought it could be sap or pitch (it smells more like cedar than the cut end) but also worried it might be a finish and am afraid to burn them. Anyone have any ideas?

Photo Nov 18, 7 38 10 AM.jpg Photo Nov 18, 7 38 25 AM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like good stuff to add a few pieces at a time to top off a load of cord wood. Sure wouldn't want to load up a stove full of just cedar scraps though.. _g

I would just ask your neighbor if it is raw wood or has been treated somehow.

But yeah...split it up for kindling or something. Should work great.

The ends probably are sealed to reduce checking. Should be ok to burn, mixed with cord wood or split with kindling.

Would be great for kindling.

Looks good to me. Cut up into pieces for kindle. Definitely avoid using large amounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.