Cedar - should I or shouldn't I

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
I have access to more cedar than I could burn in two years, maybe three. Thing is, from what I am reading it is half the btu of white oak and I am already 3 years ahead with some possible storage issues come spring. Problem is, almost everything I have is oak. Just picked up half a truck load of cherry. Only reason I am debating the cedar is IF it will season by 2014/2015 winter so I can use it to start the furnace. Starting the furnace with oak can be a chore sometimes. Might get a truckload, maybe two because I am a glutton for punishment. Hoping you guys talk me out of this or at least limit my stupidity.

Great for kindling, I wish I had some. I used to burn slabs of it when I lived in Whistler where the tree is plentiful. If I could I would bring home a truck load but I would keep it for starting fires. If you are tight on space I would limit what you bring home.

Diversity in the wood pile is insurance with all that hard oak. Mixing wood types is what saved me this winter with my dificult red oak.

If I was in your situation I'd get the cedar and turn it into kindling and smaller splits for rapid fire starts.

Reactions: Brewmonster
If I was in your situation I'd get the cedar and turn it into kindling and smaller splits for rapid fire starts.

X2. Great for fast starts and some fast heat in shoulder season. I had a few trees given to me and used them sparingly till gone :-(

My first year the only stuff that was burning hot was that pile of red cedar that i cut up the previous winter. Split it and stack it, it will burn beautifully! Good for mixing with hardwood, in my opinion.

Reactions: Dix
Cedar is worth having, how you use it is what's important, it makes great kindling it is dry,stringy and hairy. it also makes great fire pit wood, makes a nice aroma in the neighborhood. That's what I use it for, I tried it in my insert and got little heat, I guess you can throw in a piece with a high btu load to prolong your wood supply if need be. Definitely get some......

Love the cedar for use as kindling . . . can also use in the shoulder seasons when you just need a hot, fast fire without many coals. One of the best smelling woods when processing as well which is just a bonus.

Right now I'm burning up my house . . . well the old cedar shakes that were being used on the home's exterior before we replaced it with vinyl.

Its great to have in your wood pile/shed. The oils in cedar are toxic to most insects, as well as toxic to snakes. In my neck of the woods, we have a large population of "Copperhead" snakes. Just as venomous as the rattlesnake. They love wood piles. Most people in my area will line the bottom of their shed with cedar shavings like those used in dog lots, or rabbit/gerbil cages to eliminate the problem. I plan to as well once I build my shed.

Reactions: firebroad
Id get it.

Id always get "it", like Redd says, its rare youll regret grabbing a few more loads of firewood

i'd burn anything i can get my hands on, i can't be picky. If anything like you said, you can use it to start fires or burn it when you don't need a lot of heat output and you can use it to save your oak for more intense purposes.

The white cedar around me burns really quickly. I lay it on the ground and stack the good stuff on top of it. Some of the pieces have been in contact with the ground for 10+ years

I burned cedar and oak for 20 years. It is a great combination. The cedar burns quick and hot to get he Oak going. Take all you can get.

Cram all of it you can.

Never hardly ever pass up any species. Sure the Oak, hickory, ash, locust, mulberry, etc, depending on where you live, is great to have in the stacks, but I cut split and stack at random and the variety in my stacks has always been quite refreshing. Always what you need.:) Just pick, choose, and use for the best possible outcome. :)

Reactions: Seanm
I have access to more cedar than I could burn in two years, maybe three. Thing is, from what I am reading it is half the btu of white oak and I am already 3 years ahead with some possible storage issues come spring. Problem is, almost everything I have is oak. Just picked up half a truck load of cherry. Only reason I am debating the cedar is IF it will season by 2014/2015 winter so I can use it to start the furnace. Starting the furnace with oak can be a chore sometimes. Might get a truckload, maybe two because I am a glutton for punishment. Hoping you guys talk me out of this or at least limit my stupidity.
the more the merrier

Fabsroman, if you still haven't decided to take that cedar, I will be happy to take it off your hands...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.