Ceiling Clearance Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyatt

Dec 2, 2005
Whatcom County, WA
Well here's my situation; I hope some of you experts can help resolve my ceiling clearance issues. I have Jotul Castine that I plan on installing in a corner of my living area. Problem is, my outside (north) wall is only 42" tall and it rises at a 5/12 pitch until it reaches 9'. I can move the stove away from this problem wall about 18". but will still only have about 50" of headroom. The specs on the stove say I need around 4', but I assume that is from the top of the stove. Since the stove is 30" tall, I will only have 20" of clearance. I plan on covering the side walls with tile or stone, but don't have a solution for the ceiling. I would like to stay away from covering the ceiling with tile because I think it will look out of place, but can't think of anything better. An easy solution would be to slide the stove down the west wall, but then again I only have about 7' from my north wall to the fridge so that option is out. Couple more questions: I've read drywall is considered combustable! Does this mean attaching durarock and tile over it still mean its combustible? How do I keep the stove tight to the wall and it not be combustable? I'm guessing some kind of dead air space, but how. Also, how close can I get my stove to a fridge and not have the poor icebox working too hard or have an unsafe condition? The way it lays out now, it will only be about 2' and that sure seems close. Where did Eric Johnson run off too during this exciting time of year?

Thanks to all

Wyatt

Wyatt

- hardly, but here are my thoughts on your dilemma. 

Since the fridge will be working overtime due to its location to the Joutl, there is a ceiling clearance problem, insufficient heater clearances, etc does it not seem to you that those problems dictate that you find a more suitable location?

While your post does not state such, am I correct in thinking that you already own the Joutl & are relocating it upstairs? 

If so, what was wrong with its original location?

If not, & you bought it new but cannot find another suitable space upstairs, then I think you would be better off returning it, if possible, & get your money back.

How do I keep the stove tight to the wall and it not be combustable?

In my case it meant leaving; a 1” air space between the brick walls & the studs; the third brick in the 2nd course on the hearth & the 2nd course beneath the ceiling un-mortared. This allows air to flow behind the wall & return into the room by natural convection . The heater sits in a corner between the walls which act like a heat-sink.

However, if you are upstairs than that is clearly too much weight to put on un-reinforced floor joists even if the walls are built only 4’-0” high of stone or brick.

Have a good one,

Dave

[quote How do I keep the stove tight to the wall and it not be combustable? I’m guessing some kind of dead air space, but how. Also, how close can I get my stove to a fridge and not have the poor icebox working too hard or have an unsafe condition? The way it lays out now, it will only be about 2’ and that sure seems close. [/quote]

This is a 2 part answer. There are two clearance that have to be considered the stove placement and the vent pipe

Most double wall connector pipe clearance is 6" single wall 18".
A reduced enclosure wall can be fabricated in front of combustiable walls using non combustiable materials plus a free flowing 1" air space between. The maxium distance a non combustiable closure can be reduced by, is 12" to combustiable walls. But if using single vent pipe, then it is 18" from the pipe. A heat shield can be attached to the pipe to reduce it to 12" or use double wall connector pipe. The only way a stove can be situated closed that the 12" to combustiables is it was tested and manufacturer specs applied.

Stoves with rear and side heat shields may offer some clearance relief. I have never run into the 20" ceiling situation. I supose that can be reduced up to 66% if a proper non combustiable protection system was installed but again no more than 66% or 12"

Status
Not open for further replies.