Ceiling Clearances (non-alcove)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amccue

Dec 4, 2015
illinois
HI I live in Illinois and I am having a wood stove installed today. It's a Jotul F3cb. I was mildly concerned about the ceiling clearances that I have. It will be installed in the basement on the hearth of my traditional fireplace, but not at all in the original firebox...sitting just in front of it. The Jotul manual does not mention ceiling clearances at all, until you get to the alcove installation section, which I am not installing into an alcove. However it would not meet those ceiling clearances. The guys told me there is no concern with the ceiling and I called to owner for reassurance. It does mention the mantel clearances, so my thought is if the ceiling is further away than what the mantel clearances require than I should be ok. But I'm just a guy.

I was really hoping to hear what you guys know about safe ceiling clearances for a certified wood stove, make me feel better...

Thanks for anyone's time

I just put in a Lopi Endeavor. There was a section in the book about alcove installation like you say. My manual said that any ceiling clearance less than 7' from the stove would need to be treated like an alcove installation.

I'm not comparing the Lopi to your Jotul, I am just saying that maybe your manual has a requirement in the alcove section that shows a distance to where a close to ceiling installation actually falls under the term "alcove installation".

I reread all that hoping it made sense. ?

Yea that makes sense. I just couldn't find anything in the manual. I think I'm lucky if it's 4' from the ceiling. I guess I'm feeling more concerned now.

I just put in a Lopi Endeavor. There was a section in the book about alcove installation like you say. My manual said that any ceiling clearance less than 7' from the stove would need to be treated like an alcove installation.

I'm not comparing the Lopi to your Jotul, I am just saying that maybe your manual has a requirement in the alcove section that shows a distance to where a close to ceiling installation actually falls under the term "alcove installation".

I reread all that hoping it made sense. ?
Also here's some other thinking: if yours says if the ceiling is less than 7' follow alcove installation. So 7' is OK. So if you're stove is approximately 3' to the top including any tiling or whatever. That leaves a 4' clearance to the ceiling. Granted I don't have the same model but by this logic I might be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.