Ceiling fan blade direction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlore

Nov 28, 2008
south jersey
Which direction is the best for circulating warm air. Clockwise or counter-clockwise. Or does it not matter at all?
thanks for the input!

whichever direction pulls air off the ceiling and pushes it downward - depends on the fan. You want the high edge of the blades to be the leading edge and the low edge trailing - usually counter clockwaise if you are looking up at the fan

Depends which way the blades are angled. Generally, Summer mode pushes air straight down so you feel a draft. Winter mode pulls air up so there's less draft felt. Winter mode assists the convection that occurs naturally. In reality YMMV, depending on location within a room. Some people with two fans run one opposite to the other.

FratFart said:
been thinking blowing air up pressurizes the ceiling & promotes heatloss in a 1 story house.

How so?

I run mine blowing on the ceiling all year long.
I figure that it is still moving the air and I do not shiver if I have to stand under if it is cold in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.