Ceiling fan or blower or both (updated)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
author="dtabor" date="1198100973"]Well, my pilot friend said that warm air was lighter, thus it rises.

Being lighter doesn't mean much as per density. A 2x4 floats on water, but I doubt you would want to dive into a pool filled with 2x4's. Ask your pilot friend about fuel consumption on a warm day versus a cold day!

Jim Walsh said:
author="dtabor" date="1198100973"]Well, my pilot friend said that warm air was lighter, thus it rises.

Being lighter doesn't mean much as per density. A 2x4 floats on water, but I doubt you would want to dive into a pool filled with 2x4's. Ask your pilot friend about fuel consumption on a warm day versus a cold day!
That's not a realistic comparison because one is a solid and one is a fluid. Warm air needs higher speed or greater angle of attack to maintain the same amount of lift due to it's lower density.

It's really simple to understand: heat air up and it expands (unless it is contained in a pressure vessel). If the expansion is a doubling of size each cubic foot now holds half the air than before. Therefore the density is decreased by half (along with the potential to make lift).

Status
Not open for further replies.