Ceiling Fan Question for Mt Vernon AE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew1024

Jan 29, 2008
Central NJ
I have no choice but to put my Mt. Vernon AE in my family room which has 13 ft ceilings. However, I have a ceiling fan up there. That being said, do I want to blow the air down since it will obviously be hot air, or have the fan blow up so that the hot air will go up and alongside the walls back down? I've heard both theories. Any thoughts?

I have a similar situation... stove is in a room with 11 foot ceiling. I set the fan to blow up, as I found circulating the hot air was better than having a draft blowing down on me.

I'm curious to what others have to say though...

Set it to blow up, that is winter mode. This will aid the natural convection of the room and circulate the air a lot better. Blowing down will fight the natural flow and not work as well.

Either or but speed is the key.
slow moves the air.
fast = wind chill :)

You need to destratify the air or mix the hot and cold areas together

Status
Not open for further replies.