Ceiling fans: up or down in winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fossil said:
Just turn on the damned fan one way or another and live with it for a time, them reverse it and live with it for a time, and decide for yourself which direction you prefer to run your fan. Rick

Bravo, I couldnt have said it any better my self

this is a great question. I have 2 ceiling fans in my living room where the stove is located. I had them blowing down but a buddy told me to make them blow up to blow the hot air down the walls onto the floor. I haven't been able to test this much but will.

My problem is to get the heat from my stove to the rest of my house and not have my living room crazy hot. now I have a vent in my wall that goes to the upstairs hallway. I am gonna put a box fan in there and hopefully suck the air into my up stairs. I said hopefully.

I also have to get it to the rest of the downstairs but don't wanna put fans all over the place.

here is the vent from the living room where the stove is.
IMGP0868.jpg

and here it is in the upstairs hallway
IMGP0870.jpg

Hope my boxfan idea works.

skinnykid said:
this is a great question. I have 2 ceiling fans in my living room where the stove is located. I had them blowing down but a buddy told me to make them blow up to blow the hot air down the walls onto the floor. I haven't been able to test this much but will.

My problem is to get the heat from my stove to the rest of my house and not have my living room crazy hot. now I have a vent in my wall that goes to the upstairs hallway. I am gonna put a box fan in there and hopefully suck the air into my up stairs. I said hopefully.

I also have to get it to the rest of the downstairs but don't wanna put fans all over the place.

here is the vent from the living room where the stove is.
IMGP0868.jpg

and here it is in the upstairs hallway
IMGP0870.jpg

sure looks like it will

skinnykid said:

You know what to do man, You heard it here....Your investment in fans will pay dividends in a short time, and you will be warmer....You have come this far, why be cheap with the rest of the system? Get the fans!

don't know about the insurance. That hole was there when I bought the house. I just covered it with grates. There where spindles.

Ya the fans will work but I don't want the clutter of the fans all around the house. ya know.

Don't worry about the INSURANCE ...just don't tell them....All insurance companies are aware of owner negligence...and they always pay if you say I didn't know. Why invite disaster? Be Brave Little Piglett as the owl said to
Piglett during the windy flood.

JPapiPE said:
Don't worry about the INSURANCE ...just don't tell them....All insurance companies are aware of owner negligence...and they always pay if you say I didn't know. Why invite disaster? Be Brave Little Piglett as the owl said to

Allllllllrighty then

skinnykid said:
JPapiPE said:

Allllllllrighty then
just put a 2x4 at the top and bottom will put it to code

First let me say that is good to see that Joe is developing a great sense of humour. Ya have to have that to stay somewhat sane on this forum. ;-P

Unless something has changed on this planet, heat always wants to rise. So you have two choices- fan blowing down and making you feel chilly in the middle of winter- or, fan blowing up and circulating the heat to come down the walls and spread out a bit without you feeling chilly.

Guess if you are a fridged person you might prefer the former. If you just want the heat to circulate, then the latter is the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.