ceiling penetration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
hi all.getting ready to install my vf55 and i am leaning towards going thru the cathedral ceiling this time.i would love to see pics of the finished product if anyone would be kind enough to post some pics of their finished product of both the inside and roof.
i'm putting a stock list together so i can purchase all pipe from dynamite buys.please let me know if i missed anything.this will all be 4".

adapter, t, 10ft vertical pipe, cathedral support box, flashing, storm collar, vertical cap.

the vent pipe off the back of the stove is not centered.is there a secret to how it can be centered.

on a side note.i sold my meridian and the gent that bought it sent me a pic of the install.the installer went vertical off the stove and thru flat ceiling(ranch) and then thru the roof.he now as an awful looking big black box measuring 2ft by 2ft hanging about 6" down from his ceiling.
does anyone have a pic of how it should look finished on a flat ceiling.
if i can figure out how to post his pics ,i will do so.
thanks all

Hi Corkman,

I have seen pics on how to center the pipe somewhere on here. I have seen 2-45* bends and a short length of pipe,
or with a tee off the stove adpater in a rotated position (not vertical) then a 45* bend to bring the pipe to center and vertical.

the vent pipe off the back of the stove is not centered.is there a secret to how it can be centered.
My MtV AE has a top vent adapter to center it. Otherwise like Wachusett says you can usually accomplish it with 45's. I'd show ya my ceiling penetration, but its not a cathedral ceiling.

hey smoke.can ya post a pic of how it should look on a flat ceiling so i can forward it to the guy who bought my meridian.

......the vent pipe off the back of the stove is not centered.is there a secret to how it can be centered........
This is how I centered mine......turn the T on an angle, and add a 45 degree elbow....should get you pretty close.

The other pic is of the rest of my install.....only difference is that I was re-using the original 8" stove pipe that was already there.

Attachments

• Exhaust "T".JPG
    Exhaust "T".JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Exhaust-1.JPG
    Exhaust-1.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: DexterDay
I'll take a pic for you tomorrow if I get a chance of my cathedral ceiling box and roof exit.
It's pretty straight forward.

I used a plumb bob to find the center of where I wanted to mount the box.
I got lucky and missed a roof rafter. :)

---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.