Ceiling pipe register -- called what? Where?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalvos

Dec 29, 2009
Vermont
maltedmedia.com
Hi all,

First post. I've searched these forums for this info, but can't find it.

There used to be a kind of cast-iron grate/register/flange stovepipe feedthrough. I don't actually know what they're called. I live in Vermont and most homes with wood cookstoves have them. They are two to three feet in diameter with a hole for the stovepipe that's a little bigger so it doesn't come into direct touch with the pipe.

For 25+ years we've been living with a 24x24 square hole in the ceiling with some decorative aluminum flashing set back from the pipe. But we're moving the cookstove back and making some changes, and would finally like to make that hole look good and still be in the style of the house (1904 cape).

Our cookstove runs enamel steel pipe for two floors, then adapts to metalbestos (or again whatever it's called these days) on its way up through the attic and ceiling.

Are these or something similar to these grates still made? I find nothing like them from any stovepipe supplier now, and just a few items like them on eBay.

Thanks,
Dennis

I don't know, but I will bump you to the top. Somebody on this forum will know. I have seen them before and only guessed what they were for. What I can tell you is that today, that is not how you penetrate a floor with a stove pipe, and it would not meet the requirements of the building codes. You should probably seek the help and advise of certified installer or chimney sweep. They can explain how it is done (components and installation) to meet the code requirements and be safe.

Thanks for the bump up. Yes, the new stuff is what we use for the attic & roof, where the pipes are aren't visible or attended. It's a straight run up from the stove to above the roof. (As we don't have codes, that's not an issue.)

The eBay examples are too small. What we're searching for are the larger square or rectangular items that looked like classic heat registers, fixed both to the ceiling and the floor. Various of our neighbors have them.

This is for our 'new' old cookstove -- we gave our 1940s-era Home Comfort to our daughter in 2006 and replaced it with a 1930s-era unit a few years ago. Brilliantly engineered with four separate adjustments (front draft, oven deflection, bottom draft, stack damper) -- and prettier, too.

Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz said:
Thanks for the bump up. Yes, the new stuff is what we use for the attic & roof, where the pipes are aren't visible or attended. It's a straight run up from the stove to above the roof. (As we don't have codes, that's not an issue.)

Thanks,
Dennis
Dennis, You may not live in a jurisdiction that has adopted and enforces codes, but I would advise adhering to them anyway. They are for your safety and insure a safe installation. Your home owner's insurance coverage may very well be contingent upon a code compliant installation as well. I would check with them. Good luck with your install and post some pics when you are done. Happy New Year, Steve

Without getting into a discussion of codes (which are avoided like the plague around here), I can say that our insurance agent has been here and has no misgivings with this typical installation.

But I have to admit the history is funny. Imagine this: For the first 64 years of this house, it was heated by woodstoves and a cookstove -- via pipes that went into unlined hung chimneys. Ever see a hung chimney with charred wood around it? Now that's scary!

Since this house has been with us for 35 years, it has been moved, the dilapidated summer kitchen torn off, and a full basement and oil furnace added. One hung chimney was completely removed and the other was kept but closed off, the top removed, sealed, and the roof extended over it. We wanted a little bit of that old chimney still visible inside, and it's in my studio now.

The new kitchen pipe was professionally installed. The cookstove pipe goes up via a 24x24 insulated and metal-lined cut in the floor/ceiling. This helps heat the second floor, and even at full burn (which we do weekly) it's hardly warm. From what you say, the locally typical method is unwelcome in some places, but in a small cape farmhouse with a low second-floor ceiling (it's a half story), I'm guessing it's less a draft hazard than the open stairwell.

Thing is, we were sickened by the oil burner's combustion chamber, which had cracked and the yearly inspection didn't see it. We noticed first our plants were getting unhealthy (this was when CO detectors were rare), and finally I checked myself. Out went the oil burner and in came three Rinnai heaters, and they're excellent.

Our 40-year experience heating and cooking with wood is pretty well tuned, and we tend not to do stupid.

I'll post some photos once the stove is moved. I still hope we can find some of those grates.

Thanks again,
Dennis

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz said:
Our 40-year experience heating and cooking with wood is pretty well tuned, and we tend not to do stupid.

I'll post some photos once the stove is moved. I still hope we can find some of those grates.

Thanks again,
Dennis
Sounds like you have plenty of wood burning savvy, and your Ins. guy is OK with it, so I will quit worrying. Isn't it amazing though, what they seemed to be able to get away with in the old days! I will let you know if I find the kind of pass through grate you are looking for and I will look forward to the pics. Stay Safe, Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.