Ceiling Protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tekguy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2009
west mass
Getting ready to tackle the install of the new stove i bought, finalizing plans. If I measured everything out correctly I will end up with a ceiling height of 83" in the stove room. The stove (drolet myriad) requires 84" height. Anyways not the end of the world as manual has provision for ceiling protection so I can show that to inspector. I have pine ceilings also so it seems like a good idea anyways.

Here's the question, has anyone done this? Any pics of what you installed? I have a few ideas I think will look good but looking for suggestions

thinking metal sheet on 1" spacers with tin tiles but????

So ur ceilings are not even 7 ft? Can u remove flooring or is it concrete?

I've seen installations where the inspector would allow an NFPA 211 wall shield on the ceiling. You are pretty close so I think this would be fine. It can be made out of sheetmetal and painted to keep the profile low or old tin ceiling metal or maybe make it out of copper like this talented gal did.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/clearances-question.99775/page-2#post-1432585

Tell the inspector that you intend to install an NFPA 211 ceiling heat shield that is 6" larger in all dimensions than the stove body.

So ur ceilings are not even 7 ft? Can u remove flooring or is it concrete?
its a little over 7ft in the den but if I understand right its 7FT from the hearth top to ceiling, i could make hearth level with floor and be over 84" but the ceiling in that room is wide ewp boards so ceiling protection probably wouldn't be a bad idea anyways

I've seen installations where the inspector would allow an NFPA 211 wall shield on the ceiling. You are pretty close so I think this would be fine. It can be made out of sheetmetal and painted to keep the profile low or old tin ceiling metal or maybe make it out of copper like this talented gal did.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/clearances-question.99775/page-2#post-1432585

Tell the inspector that you intend to install an NFPA 211 ceiling heat shield that is 6" larger in all dimensions than the stove body.
i was thinking attaching some tin ceiling tiles to a sheetmetal backer, only question with that is what to use to attach them to sheet, most tiles i think would be to thin to tack or spot weld, are there any adhesives that would be acceptable?

unfortunately raising the ceilings isnt an option LOL
the stove is going in the den off the living room which is one step up, here's a pic of the ceilings that will continue into den and thruout entire house - still a work in progress
254089_212585272109356_1406705_n.jpg

anyways I was thinking tiles like this:
8_rusty_metal_stars_and_stripes_vintage_tin_ceiling_tile.jpg

pop rivets. paint the heads to hide them. Watch that ceiling fan. It will give a tall guy a crew cut!

pop rivets. paint the heads to hide them. Watch that ceiling fan. It will give a tall guy a crew cut!
no issue from the inspector drilling all the holes? guess the rivets will seal em

No, just use an non-combustible sleeve to hold the finished panel 1" off the ceiling. They make ceramic sleeves for this purpose or you could cut a bunch of 1" pieces of 3/8" rigid copper pipe for shim sleeves.

No, just use an non-combustible sleeve to hold the finished panel 1" off the ceiling. They make ceramic sleeves for this purpose or you could cut a bunch of 1" pieces of 3/8" rigid copper pipe for shim sleeves.
already got em

Status
Not open for further replies.