ceiling support and thimble question, PIC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weezer4117

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2008
central In
Does anyone see any problems with this? The manual doesnt specify any restrictions as far as what the support can be placed up against. I am starting to wonder if the "black" pieces will get to hot for the wood ceiling??? HELP!!!

Attachments

• work4.jpg
    work4.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 262
Supports are designed to make contact with combustible materials at the ceiling. What is the shiny pipe? Stove pipe I assume?

mhrischuk said:
Supports are designed to make contact with combustible materials at the ceiling. What is the shiny pipe? Stove pipe I assume?

Yes, I locked that piece in just so the support wouldnt fall (havnt secured it yet)!

Do any of you have a similar application? Does anyone disagree that this is "ok"?

Lots of ceiling supports here. As long as installed per manufacturer's directions and clearances for the class A pipe met or exceeded, it should be ok. Ours is in direct contact with the ceiling drywall and the paper on drywall is combustible.

All is set up per manufacturers instruction but man does it make me nervous to have the support and collar rite up against the wood ceiling. The manufacturer just tells me how to assemble the support but gives no limitations as to what it goes around, maybe that is my clue.....

Because the support already has a built in clearance, you have nothing to worry about.

What make and model number?

weezer4117 said:
All is set up per manufacturers instruction but man does it make me nervous to have the support and collar rite up against the wood ceiling. The manufacturer just tells me how to assemble the support but gives no limitations as to what it goes around, maybe that is my clue.....

The main thing I would be concerned about is the distance between the stove top and the wood ceiling. Alcove installs have tighter requirements. Have you checked this with the Buck's reqs? If not in the documentation, call them.

PS: found it on page 23 of the stove docs. It requires 84" (7 ft.) from the alcove floor to ceiling. If the wood ceiling meets or exceeds that, you are fine.

My pictures appear that the Buck will set in a alcove, it will NOT. Sorry, I should have taken a side shot. Instead the stove will set approximatley 3' in front of the back wall and I will use a offset to the chimney.

The stove pipe is supervent (lowes).

See page 5 here of the manual. I think you are concerned because it doesn't say anything about mounting it in direct contact with wood. The chimney support is designed with clearance on the inside that keeps the chimney pipe itself away from and protected from combustibles. It is designed to be in direct contact at the ceiling with whatever the ceiling is made of. Wood is fine.

http://www.selkirkcorp.com/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=7472

weezer4117 said:
My pictures appear that the Buck will set in a alcove, it will NOT. Sorry, I should have taken a side shot. Instead the stove will set approximatley 3' in front of the back wall and I will use a offset to the chimney.

The stove pipe is supervent (lowes).

Great, carry on! Time for tiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.