Cell phone options: low cost/ no BS for rural VT?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hello all-

I've had a cell phone in the past- at one point it was thrown in as part of a job, then later had one on my own (a relatively no-frills plan), ultimately, as one part of belt-tightening in response to the Great Recession, I cancelled it entirely.

Aside from the reactions of shock and non-comprehension from various people who think I might as well have announced I speak only Latin or something, I have _mostly_ found it to not be a big deal to not have one.

But there have been times, increasingly so lately, when it would be handy to have one.

The actual number of cell providers with a "brick and mortar" presence locally seems tiny- I've only ever noticed AT&T and Verizon. I assume others may actually serve the area, but do not know how to find out who does. Googling seems to just bring an avalanche of info that is annoyingly unfocused to sort out.

Still have the most recent phone (a Nokia from about 5 years ago), and also a used but pristine Motorola RAZR flipphone that I got at a local surplus place for an astonishingly low price, in the box, with all the manuals, etc.- second hand but nearly unused.

Is there any relatively simple way to look at the make/ model # of the phones that I have and then ascertain which (if any) current networks and providers in my area (just north of Montpelier VT, ZIP 05640) they might function with?

I am generally a person with a very high comfort with technological complexity and learning about same, but I long ago ceased to have patience to follow all the different permutations of GSM VS CDMA VS TDMA VS 3G, various differing frequency bands used by different providers and models of phones, etc. I still miss my original series Motorola flip analog cell phone that was the size of a small brick, but no less durable than a brick, and that had crystal clear sound whenever it had signal, in contrast to the modern day phones that seem to too often give "Charlie Brown Teacher Voice" digital distortion in rural locations- you can tell someone is talking, but can't comprehend a word.

I've got very little patience for wading through lots of marketing hype.

The "all in one-ness" of an iPhone would be EXTREMELY appealing but I won't/ can't pay a premium for a new one. Would be totally open to an older-generation one, but from what I understand, it's got a significant, and, at least as far as I have been told, unavoidable extra cost-driver in the form of a mandatory data plan. I welcome any suggestions as to whether/ how one could use an older "iPhone" in "diet mode" without a data plan. I know I'd lose some of the gee-whiz features, but mostly just want a phone, with the user interface/ camera, tunes, etc., being likeable bonuses.

Also welcome any first-hand experience with repeater/ booster units, as cell signal at my house is still more or less useless unless one stands in just a few spots.

Don't want to enter into any ongoing contracts, prefer either a low price flat rate plan with reasonably decent included service, or else something for which I only pay for what I use, with no minimums or expirations of what I pay for.

Thanks very much for any suggestions any of you can offer in helping me get back to a useful point on the learning curve to pick and pull the trigger on something low cost and practical.

I've had a number of cell phones over the years, but got to a point after retirement that I just saw no need anymore. My wife, however, really liked having one in her car. So, after we got rid of our Verizon or whatever phones, she got a tip from some friends about this outfit:

http://www.tracfone.com/?lang=en

She got a simple no-frills phone and the service was economical (pay as you go), no contract, and good signals. After she died, I decided to keep it because it doesn't cost much. I still use it rarely...mostly for long distance calls. I think there are like two people in the world who know my cell phone #. :lol: Rick

Most companies offer pay-as-you-go phones. I would get a simple one, but not necessarily one of their free phones. Look for a model that has good reception, sound quality and battery life. I have an older Nokia that I use on T-mobile pay as you go. It's battery life and reception are excellent. In your area it looks like AT&T or Verizon are your best bets for coverage.

Does your Nokia or Razr have any company logo on it indicating the system it was for? Usually it will say ATT, Sprint or Verizon on it if it is set up for one company. The Razr probably can be unlocked to work on another network, the Nokia possibly not.

Verizon has the best coverage in northern VT. I drive all over the northern 10 counties for work and have tried them all. They're the best option....but it's still not 100%. Some deep valleys are dead zones no matter which provider you go with. I get 3g anywhere there's a signal in your neck of the woods. Not sure what they have for pay as you go plans tho.

Used to have a cheap signal booster I borrowed from a friend that worked great. Antenna on the roof, transmitter inside and went from 1 bar to 4-5 consistently. I will say the weaker the signal at your house, the more dropped calls.....booster or no booster.

They put a tower up in Jeffersonville so I get 3g at my house in Waterville now.

FWIW,

the Motorola is a W510, SIM card in it says Unicel, which was absorbed into AT&T

The Nokia is a 3220b, and I'd had it through Unicel

I am looking around at provider/ plan/ coverage map websites and am afflicted with headhurtium- too many variables- it's not just apples to oranges, its coconuts and kumquats. I want the stripped Chevy Nova plan, please...

Boy I hear you on that one. I think it's totally intentional. If good reception and usability is important, I would call or go to a Verizon office and ask for the cheapest plan, but get a decent phone for reception in those valleys. And by all means, no matter what you get be sure it has a trial period so that you can decide if it works for you or not.

After 10 years with Verizon i switched to Tracfone. Bought a phone that gets triple minutes and a 2 year plan & 3000 minutes for about 300$. That works out to about 2 hours of airtime per month at 12.50 a month. Tracfone uses other carriers towers so you get about the signal strength as with verizon. Only drawback is tech support is non-existent so you have to kind of figure things out yourself. This is the phone i just got and here's a user guide page for it.

http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/straighttalk/home.seam?locale=en_US&deviceId=727&cid=128018

I've always used a Tracfone, no problems. I just upgraded, $ 29.95 LG 500 g to make it easier to txt our grandkids. Has 1.3 mp camera, enough for me. Simple, always double minutes and it works.
Ed

I have a Tracfone, also. I use it very little, but it is handy at times. It costs me just over $22 for 3 months/60 minutes air time. Phone cost $10 6 or 8 years ago, no frills, very dependable. I can renew/buy airtime right from the phone, on their web page, or with a card purchased in many stores. The sound quality is excellent, but coverage can be spotty in rural areas.

I use a service called Net10, which I think is owned/or owns Tracphone. My only high speed internet option is DSL, so since I need to have a land line anyway I use that most of the time. Like Tracphone, you need to keep minutes "in the tank" before a certain expiry date. It costs me less than $20/month to keep it active.

In northern Vermont your only options are Verizon and ATT. ATT used to be better, but Verizon has improved a lot in the last few years. I'd go with Verizon if I were you.

NorthCountryWood said:
Verizon has the best coverage in northern VT. I drive all over the northern 10 counties for work and have tried them all. They're the best option....but it's still not 100%. Some deep valleys are dead zones no matter which provider you go with. I get 3g anywhere there's a signal in your neck of the woods. Not sure what they have for pay as you go plans tho.

Used to have a cheap signal booster I borrowed from a friend that worked great. Antenna on the roof, transmitter inside and went from 1 bar to 4-5 consistently. I will say the weaker the signal at your house, the more dropped calls.....booster or no booster.

They put a tower up in Jeffersonville so I get 3g at my house in Waterville now.

I have friends in Guilford (S. VT) that are happy with AT&T. I'd ask your neighbors what they use. Let them do the legwork to find out what is best.

Matt

Reggie Dunlap said:
In northern Vermont your only options are Verizon and ATT. ATT used to be better, but Verizon has improved a lot in the last few years. I'd go with Verizon if I were you.

Tracfone uses Verizon & AT&T's towers.

I've had Tracfone for years . . . two or three years back they ended up sending me a replacement phone . . . or rather my wife a replacement phone since she is the one who has it for emergencies and trips. Reception here in Central Maine has always been good, but is better now with additional towers going up in the past four years or so. We tend to buy the yearly card . . . and we have a lot of time built up on the phone since we rarely use it although we did call home from Puerto Rico three years back.

straighttalk uses either verizon or sprint network, depending on which phone you get. good no frills plans. if you want the best deal in data, check out virgin mobile (sprint network). I'm using simple mobile, which is all you can eat 4g data/voice/text for $60/month, no contract. It's on the t-mobile network.

Status
Not open for further replies.