Cement overpour for radiant over existing cement floor.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
In the coming months I'd like to add the first radiant zone to my FHW baseboard system. I have a 16x20 foot office in the basement that is always cold. It has a cement floor. I am wondering if it is possible to put a overpour of cement over the existing slab and embed radiant loops at the same time? Would I need to do any special prep work to the existing cement floor to get a good connection between the two? Would you still need to use mesh/rebar since it is going over an existing pour? How thick should an overpour be?

Thanks.

Absolutely yes you can. Vapor barrier first followed by pink or blue board thickness is up to you I like 1" in this case. Next wire mesh and nail it down with concrete nails allowing a little wiggle room. Next tie your tubing to the wire mesh and cover with concrete. Don't forget perimeter insulation. Cap the tubing off and pump up to at least 50 psi while pouring concrete. Big draw backs in doing this is, can you afford the extra height with the insulation and concrete in your basement. I done it in mine and it works like a charm. I used bubble foil bubble (cringing) and this was designed by an engineer for my house. Yes I poured a floor over a floor in a new construction house. Been for years and working like a charm.

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 449
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 418
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 412
  • scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 392
interesting!
to bad i already have to almost duck to get through my basement!:(
how much height did it add to yours?

Is that 3" of concrete? or 2" concrete plus the 1" insulation?

I think you could do a 2" slab over 1" foam with 1/2" pex for a total height loss of 3".

Check out a product called Bekotec by Schluter. No rebar minimum height build up, designed for this application. Used extensively in Europe. Coming on strong over here too. I went with 2'' blue board with the Bekotec on top. Will pack a mud screed on top.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.