Cementing stove pipe sections

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fran35

Jan 10, 2011
PA
Is it necessary to cement each piece of the single wall stove pipe(only about 7 feet total to the thimble)? I frequently disassemble this and clean it a few times each winter and am wondering if it is a must to cement it. I already have the necessary screws for the pipe.

I just seal the joints that I don't take apart. I don't think is is necessary unless there is a big gap but seal it anyway. That's just me though.

You do not have to seal the pipe. Just screw the sections together, usually three screws per section.

Haven't done it but I have 3/4 of a tub of furnace cement just asking to dry up and go to waste. I'm thinking next weekend or evening I get freed up I'm going to do it just to see if there is some difference in what I find when I clean.

pen

I have never sealed, and rarely have problems. But I have notoriously good chimney draft (so much so that I regularly flaunt BK's admonitions to use double-wall connect pipe, and frequently brag about that on these forums).

But, *occasionally* I get a smokey odor in the house, and I wonder if sealing the pipe joints would prevent that. Especially because my pipe doesn't fit together that well (Elmer's).

The thing that stops me is that I like to pull the connector pipe apart to clean the chimney. I guess I could just seal the joints that don't have to come apart.

I heared tell of a product called Mill-Pac (search here) that people use instead of furnace cement. I'll not sure how it compares or where to get it.

I have always sealed them. It is a cheap thing to do and easy to apply and clean up. Just another little guarantee for you. We hear of lots of problems with folks who do not seal these joints so why ask for any problems?

I know a lot of people here in the mntns who have wood stoves. I don't know any who seal or caulk or cement any stovepipe or chimney pipe joints.

When I redid the stovepipe, I had little gaps that I heard whistling. Put a lighter near and the draw was noticable, so I used some high temp caulk.
Bye bye, air leaks.
Now, if I can just get the stupid blower to shut up.......... :coolgrin:

Never have sealed my stove pipe . . . no notable issues with creosote, drafts or sound . . . but I would definitely do the mandatory screws (which I suspect you will be doing -- but am including it in my response in case anyone is wondering if they can just cement the pipe instead of drilling the screws into it) . . . my own take . . . using the cement certainly can't hurt things and is cheap enough . . . I just never got around to doing it and my set up works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.