Centering Vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David48

Oct 10, 2010
Southern Ohio
If I decide to go with a pellet stove over a wood stove in the corner of my living room the vent will have to be exposed
as there is not a usable outside wall. Looks like most pellet vents exit off center out the back which would look strange
going up through the ceiling. What to do to center it? Maybe tilt the tee and use a 30 degree elbow? Would that hurt anything?
Is there black vent items available or will I have to paint with heat paint?

Also, I have read pellet units are noisy. The unit will be close to the TV. Will this be a problem? I am looking at the Englander
pellet models for my budget. Anything to get off the propane wagon!

Also looking at possibly the 30-NC wood stove.

Having a hard time deciding!!! I am an hour north of Cincinnati in a 1600sf ranch.

Thank you for any input...

David

Tilt the tee and use a short length of pipe to a 45º elbow works to center the pipe. No issues doing so. Straight up long runs would require 4 inch piping to keep the EVL in check!

Tilting the tee also makes it easier in the cleanings as there is more room to work the vent brush!

How far do you need to go up?

Thanks for the info!

It looks like it will be about 18' from bottom of stove to roof cap.
Looks like I will have to put two 45 elbows in the attic also to get in front or back of the peak.

j-takeman said:
Tilt the tee and use a short length of pipe to a 45º elbow works to center the pipe. No issues doing so. Straight up long runs would require 4 inch piping to keep the EVL in check!

Tilting the tee also makes it easier in the cleanings as there is more room to work the vent brush!

This is exactly what I did in my original stove install to get the pipe centered. Appliance adapter out the back of the stove to a T, put the T at a 45 degree toward the center of the stove and used a 45 to get the pipe straight up.

In my situation, I even had to use 2 more 45's above to get the pipe lined-up with the original wood stove pipe I was going to re-use.

No problems with draft. And Jay was right on with the ease of cleaning too.

Attachments

• Exhaust %22T%22.jpg
    Exhaust %22T%22.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 311
  • Exhaust-1.jpg
    Exhaust-1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 10-CPM-1.jpg
    10-CPM-1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 253
there are a few stoves that have centered exhaust. All the Harman free standers are centered. The Enviro Mini is centered (maybe a bit too small for your purposes though).

You're going to spend less on a few extra elbows to recent your pipe than buying more expensive stoves. Plus the pipe will be much easier to clean.

My Englander 25 PDVC is quiet IMHO, and it is within 10 feet from my TV. On low you can hardly hear it running. On high it is a bit noisy but then I'd bet any stove is.

Yes you can buy black stove pipe but it is much cheaper to hand paint the pipe with black grill pain, or spray paint outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.