central air power???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisneaky

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2015
Northern Wisconsin
This seems weird to me so I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out. A week ago I turned the breaker off to my central ac unit. I almost always use 21kw a day at my house. I just checked my numbers and my daily usage dropped to 14kw a day. Is this even possible? That would mean my central air unit is drawing almost 300 watts an hour at idle, right? That seems like a crazy high number doesn't it?

It does seem high. Some compressors, especially the heat pump sort, have heaters in them to keep the oil warm. 300 watts seems like a lot, though. I always kill the power to mine in the winter, especially since I don't want some critter to find a nice warm place to winter and chew things up.

It does seem high. Some compressors, especially the heat pump sort, have heaters in them to keep the oil warm. 300 watts seems like a lot, though. I always kill the power to mine in the winter, especially since I don't want some critter to find a nice warm place to winter and chew things up.
I do remember reading that mine had a heater of some sort in it.

If the breaker is off then the crankcase heater can't be drawing anything. It's off too. It comes off the same circuit as the outside unit.

power companies keep talking about "Vampire Power" but thats alot

Status
Not open for further replies.