central boiler and fire brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamant

Sep 30, 2007
i am able to get some 2'' thick fire brick. do you feel that i would benefit by installing it on the floor of the burner?

My thought is that firebrick is pretty cheap, and if there was a way to improve the performance of a CB by installing conventional firebrick, they'd do it at the factory. But people who know a lot more about these things (mikey, for example) have given it serious consideration, so I'm curious.

Good point, Eric, thanks for the compliment, but I'm just a dumb 'ole country boy, but...adding firebrick adds to mfg. and shipping costs...my dealer recommended to let the ash build somewhat to protect the metal. Only thing I'm concerned about is busting up the brick when I throw big chunks of wood in.

IME, with firebrick-bottomed stoves, gravity and compacted ash combine to keep everything in place. Of course, the bricks are going to crack over time, but if they're packed tight on a flat surface, they'll stay put.

I read an article on woodheat.org (I think it was there..) where a guy did this... It almost doubled the efficiency of his OWB........... Only he lined the bottom, sides, back, door, and top (ceramic board) when he did it........

I will be installing a CB 6048 very soon and had the same idea. I called Cental Boiler and they said I would void my warentee if I placed the firebrick in the stove. Maybe you could check this out and see if you get a different answer.

another reason to consider doing it would be the heat retention from the firebrick....what was CB's reasoning for saying it would void the warranty?...too much weight from the brick?

The moisture problem could be a real one indeed..... For me, I'll be running my system once it's up 24/7/365 for DHW......... (Not the burner, just the system with it's 1250 gallons of storage)....... so that would be a moot topic.....

I think you should be fine if the burner is used at least weekly year round.. But I don't take any responsibility for what happens! :)

Incidentally, aren't their stoves supposed to be the "miracle" stainless steel? What damage would moisture do if they were really stainLESS steel??

Status
Not open for further replies.