1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

central boiler chimney question

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by adamant, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamant

adamant New Member

my unit comes with 2 four foot sections (8 ft.) is that enough for a boiler that is placed 100' from the house?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. deerhuntrer

deerhuntrer New Member

Loc:
    Mountains of Maine
    That depends. My boiler is also 100 feet from my house but I have 3 sections. The chimney should be higher than your eves on your roof.
  3. antos_ketcham

antos_ketcham Member

From what I understand, any chimney should have a minimum of 16 feet for proper draw and smoke dispersion. I had a CB before getting my Greenwood and I actually had 5 sections of chimney total. This got me my 16 feet, plus got it over the peak of the roof of my house by more than 2 feet. The unit was 50 feet from my house. The pipe is pricey, but it is worth it to improve combustion and prevent smoke in your house or worse, your neighbors.

Pete
  4. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I don't know about New Jersey, but the new regs (March 31) in some states require that the chimney be 2' above any structure within 100 feet.

Most of the CB installations that I've seen have stacks that are 8' or less.
  5. atlarge54

atlarge54 New Member

Loc:
    Hoosier
    I probably have the worst OWB chimney setup you'll ever see. My boiler is 3' from garage 15' from the house. I can't raise the chimney because of electric lines. The chimney is under 3' tall including spark arrestor cap. The chimney is 5' below peak of garage and 12' below peak of house. Prevailing winds work in my favor. I knew when I did this it was risky business, but it was the only feasable location. I've been burning for 3yrs summer DHW and winter. You know the saying I'd rather be lucky than smart. I'd suggest just try what you have, you can always add more later.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.