central boiler chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamant

Sep 30, 2007
my unit comes with 2 four foot sections (8 ft.) is that enough for a boiler that is placed 100' from the house?

adamant said:
my unit comes with 2 four foot sections (8 ft.) is that enough for a boiler that is placed 100' from the house?

From what I understand, any chimney should have a minimum of 16 feet for proper draw and smoke dispersion. I had a CB before getting my Greenwood and I actually had 5 sections of chimney total. This got me my 16 feet, plus got it over the peak of the roof of my house by more than 2 feet. The unit was 50 feet from my house. The pipe is pricey, but it is worth it to improve combustion and prevent smoke in your house or worse, your neighbors.

Pete

I don't know about New Jersey, but the new regs (March 31) in some states require that the chimney be 2' above any structure within 100 feet.

Most of the CB installations that I've seen have stacks that are 8' or less.

I probably have the worst OWB chimney setup you'll ever see. My boiler is 3' from garage 15' from the house. I can't raise the chimney because of electric lines. The chimney is under 3' tall including spark arrestor cap. The chimney is 5' below peak of garage and 12' below peak of house. Prevailing winds work in my favor. I knew when I did this it was risky business, but it was the only feasable location. I've been burning for 3yrs summer DHW and winter. You know the saying I'd rather be lucky than smart. I'd suggest just try what you have, you can always add more later.

Status
Not open for further replies.